M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have of lately been buying a lot of bullets, primers and powder from a fellar who frequents flea markets,estate auction and such.
I bought a nice lot of FFFg Goex, several cans of IMR and Hogdon powders, Unique and Bullseye. I checked most of the powders that were already open and found some that looked bad, they had rust inside of the cans and left a lot of yellow or redish dust on typing paper when I tested them.

But when I got these powders home the ones that were unopened, two IMR4895s were noticeably bad and one of the H4895 in a plastic bottle appeared to be bad also.

The H4895 apparently is not bad after all, though it does appear in color to be more of a brownish color or not as dark as the IMR4895. From what searching I did on the internet I found that some of the Hogdon powders don't have as much graphite in them as IMR powders do. So I'm hopeful that I only had 2 bad cans of powder instead of 3. All three of the powders smelled good but two of them were noticably rusty.

So the guy I bought them from gave me a 1000 box of 7 1/2 primers for the two bad cans.

If anyone knows anything different on the color of H4895 versus IMR4895 please let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use h4895, and it does have a greenish/brown tint to the single grains of powder, never had a problem with it. I did compare a Plastic bottle that I had for a couple of years to a new bottle, they appeared to be the same. So I think you would be good to go

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shadowbk7...

thanks for the comfirmation on the color of the powder. About the only rifle powder I've ever used has been IMR, and when I saw the Hogdon with the less than dark black color it made me think it was bad. But when I looked at the 60 lbs. or so of powder that Joe had for sell I did see several cans of imr that had a yellow look to it and I'm sure it was bad, told him to dump that stuff.

I've used up 2lbs. of H335 the other day and it was in the plastic jugs, still got 2 lbs of it to go. plus I got 3 pounds of imr4198 to use in the M4, another pound of hogdon4895, 6 lbs. of FFFG Goex, 3 lbs of unique and 2 lbs. of bulleye.

He also had a couple hundred M118 match bullets that had been pulled, well I assume they were M118, they weighed 172 grs.????? Probably 300 147 gr. cannalured ball bullets.

I've also bought over 2000 .223 bullets, and close to that amount of .308 bullets from him in the last 2 months.

I would like to exchange some of the .223 for some .40 S+w bullets.
Got to get all this ammo loaded before it gets warm outside, then I'll be to busy to reload.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I believe H4895 was changed to the made in Australia greenish-tan color powder some time in 1999. So it's likely no older than that. It is the newer version of H4895. The older version was the standard gray-black color and I think it was made in Scotland. The greenish-tan H4895 is the newer version. I think it has a stronger smell than IMR-4895 also. The M118 bullet is the same as the M72 30-06 bullet of 172 - 175 grains weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts