M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago I found a pretty nice deal on a Smith and Wesson Model 627. Four inch barrel, N-frame, 8-shot .357.

I primarily got it as a "bush gun" for my not-as-often-as-they-ought-to-be trips to the woods. Right after the "dude, this gun is sweeet" and "uh-oh, website says this particular one's getting discontinued!" factors were accounted for.

Right now my only means of packing it is a "Hunter" brand holster for it. My Dad actually gave it to me a while back when he found it among his things and he had no use for it. Not sure if it was designed for an N-frame, but it fits pretty well.

Though if I'm gonna spend money on a quality holster for the gun, I want a flapped holster for it. I wonder, leather seems the natural choice but I've seen some pretty nice things done with plastics in holsters. Since this is one that would be exposed to the elements and subject to getting banged up out in the wild, I wouldn't object to checking out a flap holster in plastic if such a thing is available.

Now it's closing in on winter time around here. As the saying goes, thugs are "thicker skinned" when it's colder out. Makes me think it might not hurt to have a way of CCWing the ol' .357. I'm not dead-set on a vertical shoulder holster, or even a shoulder holster, but seems that it'd be the best way of concealing such a big gun. I've seen such great rigs as "the original Dirty Harry shoulder holster" in the pages of American Handgunner. But for an every once in a while thing, just in the cold months, IF I like doing it, that's a bit more than I'd like to spend. As much under $100 as I can manage would be my budget for this one.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have an Idaho Leather Company shoulder rig for my N Frame. They do not have a web site, but their products have been featured in gun mags by John Taffin. It is very comfortable and is well made. I use it for winter carry in the outdoors. You may do some searching on it and see what you find.

HD

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I had a Dirty Harry shoulder holster for my 6.5" 657 Classic and I can tell you they are very comfortable, even with that heavy pistol. The nice thing about the DH is it's a front-break, you just grab the handle and pull it forward... very quick.

We had an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder rig for the same pistol and, while it worked OK, it was very bulky and you would have to be a big dude with a loose coat to hide that thing.

I had a Bianchi service holster for my Hi-Power, it had a detachable flap... that was very nice. You may consider that if you don't think you'll need the flap all the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kramer Leather sells a flap holster called the "Flap Explorer". They don't specifically call out one fitted to a 4" 627, but they do for a 4" 629. Can't be that far off.

HTH...

TCM

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had an Uncle Mikes nylon shoulder rig for the same pistol and, while it worked OK, it was very bulky and you would have to be a big dude with a loose coat to hide that thing.
Thanks for the heads-up, I was keeping Uncle Mike's in mind as an option if I couldn't find anything else...

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Check the Simply Rugged website. Their Sourdough Pancake may be just what you're looking for. If you buy the flap model it's made so the flap is removable so you can carry it under your jacket, shirt, whatever. With the flap you can open carry it in the woods and have the gun totally protected. Price is right and delivery times are short compared to most of the other custom makers. I use their holsters all the time; very functional and well made.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah...I carry a Glock 19 IWB as my main CCW gun.

Just to check it out, I stuck the 627 in the Hunter holster in the waistband of my jeans. And while of course it's wider than the Glock, it's not a huge difference. I might have to look into IWB options for CCW too. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll check them out!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had some "thumbreak flap" holster made over the years. Basically it's a thumbreak holster with the thumbreak strap enlarged into a flap. Makes it easy to draw one quickly in one motion.
Dick Murray at Murray leather made the first ones and my late uncle who was a saddle maker refined them and made me some more.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Another Rob Leahy Fan...

+1 for Simply Rugged holsters. Rob is a true craftsman. A multitude of designs & good prices. Workmanship is exceptional! I had a "Range Master" made up for my S&W 66-1. Added some flare with border stamping for a mere $5 increase in price. I am very happy with the purchase. He does one called a "Flap Jack" that was mentioned above. The flap is removable so you can opt for it when in the woods & remove it for a more concealable package. If you wanted to kill two birds with one stone you could order it with the "Chesty Puller Straps" which convert the holster to a shoulder/chest rig. Not as concealable as some dedicated shoulder rigs I am sure, but definitely a cool option. Check them out:

http://www.simplyrugged.com/

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, just put in an order for a Flap Jack and the IWB loops. This oughta give me options to cover everything from woods carry to CCW. FRG1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts