M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just wanted to show off my best iron sight 5 shot group ever.

I loaded up some 175's for 1000 yard match about 6 weeks ago and I had a few left over after competing in the match. I never got a chance to actually test them in my rifle before shooting them at 1000 yards, so this I decided to see how accurate they actually were during a range trip yesterday. I was at the range to get a solid zero on my new RRA NM AR-15, but I took a few moments to shoot a few groups with that 175 SMK load in my SAI NM at 100 yards. The group measured about 7/8th's of an inch, but that was using a tape measure as my calipers are packed up at the moment. The recipe is on the target. Enjoy USNA

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Great shooting!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well done Sir!! You can hold your head high with a group like that for sure!!

PS . . you do know that using a lead sled is ~kinda~ cheating?? RNGR2

Do that from sandbags or slung up prone and then you REALLY got something!! Great group! I would put that target on my reloading room wall any day!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ok I'll try but forgive my spelling. the SAI extractor's break very easily; that's why most of us change them out. Now PB, is the Italian Breda,which made Italian M1 Garands, Very good parts, so if you can find an USGI extractor or a PB extractor """"GET IT """"
Thank you. Is there any number of shots you can fire or is it an anytime type of thing. I have an NM though I doubt that makes a difference. I will start looking. I'm used to it since I got some kind of Milsurp disease.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Nice Group!

Now I am going to put in a PB so Mine will shoot like that too GI2

Reactions: LoB and tflorman

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice Group!

Now I am going to put in a PB so Mine will shoot like that too GI2
In the words of the Tow Mater...

"Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are."

The long and short of the PB extractor swap out is that when I got the NM last year, I was new to the platform and heard all these horror stories on this very forum about SAI extractors, so I ordered it from Treeline and swapped it out.

Knowing what I know now, I would probably just leave the SAI extractor in and then simply keep the PB as a spare in my Range box in the event that it did break as it was a bear to replace when I was new without a jig or prior knowledge of the 30-06 case method. Are the USGI and PB extractors made to a better spec?... probably, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will ever cause the average shooter any trouble.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well done Sir!! You can hold your head high with a group like that for sure!!

PS . . you do know that using a lead sled is ~kinda~ cheating?? RNGR2

Do that from sandbags or slung up prone and then you REALLY got something!! Great group! I would put that target on my reloading room wall any day!!
Of course I know that. USNA But it sure was a pretty iron sight group.

I was just trying see how the ammo shot in my rifle given that it was untested before I shot in the 1000 yard match. Given my skill level (Marksman), the 157-2x score I shot wasn't really a true test of that ammo's accuracy as it was the first time I'd ever shot at 1000 yards. Truth be told, I wasn't sure I was even going to compete in that portion of the match so I didn't end up loading it until the night before the match using a recipe I'd seen in several places on the net. All I knew was that my 168's weren't going to get there so I had to do something. USNA

The range I was at yesterday only has benches and and rickety wooden ones at that so slinging up in prone wasn't an option, but you're right... its a 50-5x*

*Cheated with a Sled

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.