M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I guess this might be the right forum and I would appreciate all your opinions and suggestions on my next purchase. To start out with the only air rifle I ever had and still do have is my Daisy Red Rider I got when you could still buy guns without a back ground checks – heck shortly after I was given the Red Ryder I earned my first shotgun a single shot 410 I got for selling Christmas cards and they sent it to me a 10 year old – just to give you a comparison of how old it is or me?

I am remarried to a nice lady from China and her 18 year old daughter. Both are around 5' 5" and have never shot. I want to teach them to shoot and eventually get rid of the chipmunks I have roaming around here. I live out in the country but I don’t have enough area or a safe enough area to bring out my old nylon stock Remington 22LR or my dependable Hi Standard 22 LR to teach them how to shoot. I thought a decent air rifle with a decent muzzle velocity would suit my purposes. Kill two birds with the same stone (or rifle). I do have over 1 1/2 acres and if push came to shove I have a 60' X 40' garage I could setup an indoor range - air rifle of course.

I am thinking about picking up a Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100. I feel it has enough muzzle velocity to take care of the chipmunks and maybe even a couple pesky rabbits and be nice for the girls to learn to shoot with. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money but I want a gun that will last. At around $275 the price is about right.

The next question would be what to feed it and I am not at all aware of how dependable they are. Do I need to move up to an RWS? With the Trail NP I am a sucker for a wooden stock and I like the idea of a scope coming with it.

I think this would be a good backup if push comes to shove in an emergency situation and things went to he77 in a hand basket also. Don’t need primers, don’t need powder just a good stock of pellets.

After the girls get handy with the air rifle then I have to find a place to shoot in the sunny Youngstown Ohio area and then bring out the other weapons.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. Although I've no idea where to start in the world of air rifles so that's about as much I have to contribute to the subject.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My rifle team uses the Crosman Challenger. You can fill it with a small scuba tank. Much better than break barrel rifles imho. Super accurate with German barrel and adjustable trigger pull. We have also used the Daisy CO2. Cost is 5 to 600.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Air Gun Express, Front St. Montezuma, Iowa. I'm partial to the Beeman R7, spring piston .177, as to accuracy, it will keep all its shots inside the mouth of a .30 cartridge all day long at 10 meters, 33 feet. Ask them about 'blems'.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
One good source to use and that I recommend is Pyramid Air they handle about everything you could need and I've found them to be great to deal with. Check out their site there's lots of customer reviews on most items. I would strongly recommend a 22 cal. if you ever plan on small game hunting the heavier 22 rds buck the wind and are much much better at distance . Say what you may about the 177cal the 22cal is better in every respect out in the real world where you encounter things like wind and hunt live animals not punch holes in paper a windless room, they also don't bleed velocity off as fast as the 177 . I currently own a chinese Beeman that shoots @800/850 fps and a German RWS/Diana model 46 that shoots @ 870/930 fps . both are 22's & both have taken large rabbits with 1 shot drops at well over 40yds, the RWS is extremely well built and is slightly more accurate but not nearly enough to justify costing over 4 times as much. IMHO A Benjamin nitro piston in .22 is a very nice accurate rifle that will shoot very well is capable of one shot kills small game hunting and will last a long time with minimal problems, the newer ones are real Quiet too.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The Benjamin Trail NP XL 1100 is a bit overkill for chipmunks!!!

I have to confess I am a little biased against Crosman after they purchased Sheridan and Benjamin and ruined them.

I have heard that the scope doesn't last long. You can't throw a cheap scope on there either.

Most of the spring guns have a bit of recoil and the forward vibration (yes, it moves in both directions) is known to eat sub-par scopes.

I would second the RWS or Beeman recommendations. The RWS I had came with a NICE adjustable trigger.

Keep in mind the more powerful the gun is, the more difficult it is to **** it. Even the midrange guns easily rival the power of what we had as kids and are more accurate. Keep an eye on the weight too. Hard to believe some of the rifles are in the 8-9 pound range!

Sixty feet is more than enough for a nice indoor range.

The gun I have now is a hand-me-down Beeman from Walmart. For the price it was easy to get a few so there was no need in having to share. Plenty accurate. Never tried a rabbit with it! Smaller vermin didn't like it much.

Reactions: TinIndian69

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Air Force, air rifles out of Texas. Adjustable velocity, for target shooting indoors or killing pesky rodents outdoors. Modular for caliber or barrel upgrades. Pricey, but well worth it. Had one for over 10 yrs. Walther barrels.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
^^^ those Air Forces are Bad A$$ PCP's ^^^..............................Honestly I'd stay away from all the gun/scope combos, the scopes are usually entry level crap. Leapers/UTG, the middle and higher grade Centerpoints, some of the BSA line and the venerable Bushnell Banner line are all great relatively inexpensive scopes built for the double recoil of a spring gun. I would highly recommend an adjustable objective to eliminate parallax at close distances . Some of these single and multi power scopes can be adjusted down to 3/5 yds . Most all of these can be picked up from the $50 to $150 range or so, some even have rings included.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Not sure why you would want to kill off chipmunks, totally harmless little critters and kids love them. As stated, that air rifle is way more than you would need.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Not sure why you would want to kill off chipmunks, totally harmless little critters and kids love them. As stated, that air rifle is way more than you would need.

You have to be kidding? Let them tunnel under one of your sidewalks, have the concrete crack as it tries to collapse and then get back to me...

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
You have to be kidding? Let them tunnel under one of your sidewalks, have the concrete crack as it tries to collapse and then get back to me...
Oh, OK. Here they are a lot more timid than that, would not live under or even near a sidewalk.

·
Registered
870 Posts
They are varmints. Get into your out buildings and eat up your fruits and vegetables too.

I had my blueberries covered with netting to keep the birds off and the little bassturds went under and chewed off whole clusters of berries, ripe or not. They will also rape your carrots, beets and potatoes.

They are crow food if I see them.

Back to topic small caliber Gamo is good, large and I am keeping my my eye on the Quackenbush waiting list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is exactly one of the reasons for a gun with some power behind it. Plus the rabbits are pi$$ing my wife off trimming her flowers for her.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
you could look into gamo. anything over 1000 fps will have no problems taking small game...
i wish i got a gamo but the local walmart hod only crossman in stock. the trigger sucks worse than a barret 50s trigger but the pigeons around my house are all gone...

the gamo whisper has a suppressor-like device on it that makes it quiet btw...

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
They are varmints. Get into your out buildings and eat up your fruits and vegetables too.

I had my blueberries covered with netting to keep the birds off and the little bassturds went under and chewed off whole clusters of berries, ripe or not. They will also rape your carrots, beets and potatoes.

They are crow food if I see them.

Back to topic small caliber Gamo is good, large and I am keeping my my eye on the Quackenbush waiting list.
It's like we're talking about a different animal. There must be 2 different kinds. In fact there are as I now recall, striped and spotted? Or is that skunks?

·
Registered
248 Posts
A buddy just bought a Gammo for squirrels. Even though it has a build in "suppressor" it's over the speed of sound (1125ft/sec I think). He's regretting it because the crack is a bit too loud for the neighborhood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweets

You are probably thinking correctly - they are small stripped rodents. If they get into your house look out they are as bad or worse than mice or rats. They burrow and cause a nuisance where ever they are at. Yes they are cute but I don't want them living under/behind my concrete slab for my man door by my back garage.

I thank everyone for their input and I am thinking seriously about raising my sights up to an Airforce - they do sound bad. I am not to sure how quiet they are though - do you have to wear ear protection when shooting? I know you have to wear eye protection not sure on the ear wear. How hard is it to refill the tanks and where do you refill them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best air rifle

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but in reading this thread have been inspired to post. I own lots of air rifles and feel there's a little mis information out there. You absolutely don't want a powerful spring gun. Two reason, there going to be way to hard to **** and the increase in power makes it much harder to shoot accurately. Also I would avoid any gun that is sold on feet per second... That is a marketing scam. Air guns are measured in foot pounds of energy. A .22lr goes faster then a .45acp but the .45 has way more energy. Speed is useless without knowing the weight of the projectile. Any break barrel air rifle is able to do what your asking of it. Lastly crosman/Benjamin and gamo are the hi points of the air rifle community. I personally would get a beeman r7 or if you wanted a little more power an r9. Both are hi quality, will hold there value, last a lifetime, have better triggers then most firearms and most importantly fun to shoot. They are a little more money but like an m1a is more then a saiga .308.....there's a reason. There's tons of info on the network54 yellow forums that can help you make an educated decision. Also in my opinion an airforce is not a good starter gun. It takes a lot of effort to fill it with a pump or hundreds in fill tanks etc., it's not regulated so it has a shot curve and there are many pre charged pneumatics that are bolt action magazine fed that are sold on foot pounds not smoke and mirrors speed. Good luck in your decision.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts