M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys Im not a gunsmith but i wanna try too build a Ar10 lower .... is it that hard?

·
"Death From Above"
11,442 Posts
Nope not at all. I put together a 15 and all I did was check out a couple of vids on youtube. There are a couple of tools you will need and there are a few tricks in putting it together without dinging the alluminum up but its not at all hard. You will be done in no time at all even taking your time and at the end you will be very surprised how easy it was. Also you have us to fall back on. One thing, when you get to putting the front pivot pin retaing pin and spring in do yourself a favor and do it while the whole thing is in a plastic bag. Those little pins have enough velocity to go into low earth orbit when they get away from you. If you did not see or hear where it landed you might as well buy two from the start. Ask me how I know. I lost one but was fortunate that my cat saw where it landed. He had his nose on it in seconds it was the funniest thing I ever saw. My wife and I were sitting on the couch laughing our butts off. His head was on a pivot as it was bouncing off the celing walls tv and then the floor he just ran over to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome man ... yeah its kinda cheaper too build it yourself... Im gonna give it a shot... what kinda tools will i need???

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
AR15 lower asembly

Greetings,

The lower is really easy and can be done with no special tools beyond standard roll pin punches, a small brass hammer and other normal hand tools that you should have in your shop/garage. There are two areas where either a special tool or home brew device can be a big help. One is the roll pin that holds the bolt hold device. There is a special punch with a flattened side that can be purchased from Brownells (among others). OR you can do this with a vice grip or pliers with the jaws covered to prevent scratching the receiver. The other one is the front pivot pin. There is a spring/detent here that can be tricky and easily goes into orbit. Of course a special tool is available, though I've used a 1/4" drill bit with good success.

Take a look at the videos at Brownells to see the specifics of what I'm referring to and get a general idea of what is invoved. Otherwise, take your time and be sure follow the directions for the specific FCG your using. The entire job should take about an hour at most. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help. Also...........be sure to purchase a "name brand" LPK; these are NOT all created equal. Good luck!

Regards, Jim

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did it you can

I did my first yesterday. done 3 hours after I came in the door would have been 2 but I kept trying to put the disconnect spring in upside down (big end down it will fit). I drilled a hole in a piece of doweling to use as a tool to install the front take down pin. watch the vids on Brownell's and go to AR15.com and download the instructions. lay all the parts out and start. I used a block of wood, hammer, and punch not roll pin just regular went slow and careful so as to not scratch it.Good luck.DI5

The roll pin punches would be nice everything else special is you have too much money or like the lap of luxury.

Bob Kdance2

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Makes me chuckle...

when I hear someone say their gonna build an AR type rifle, more like putting it back together after a thorough field strip.
Oh well! try building a stock from scratch, then inletting the lock, barrel,trigger and other parts, furniture etc.

Then you can say you built a rifle, there's a guy near me who manufactures the parts for guys like me who like to (mess around) with percussion/flintlock rifles, (Larry Zorn).

But I do know what you mean, and I think it's great that guys still have a desire to build something... especially in an era when most guys can't change a flat tire.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Greetings,

Yes nodrtbike, you're absolutely correct! "Assemble" would be a much more appropriate term to use regarding ARs. Currently "assembling" #s 7 and 8 does NOT in any way make me competent to build a "real" rifle.

Regards, Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts