M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at the detailed check list, but what should I look at during just a field strip? Here's a couple pics, it's got a synthetic stock, which is a bit odd, bit that can be remedied.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
When looking at old Milsurp weapons one of the best things to have is a set of headspace gauges. If nothing else own a NO-GO gauge. I carry several different calibers when I go to gunshows. They have saved me a lot by preventing the purchase of a rifle with bad headspacing.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Next most important are throat and muzzle wear, if you don't have a muzzle/throat gauge, use a M2 Ball Cartridge in the muzzle to check it, make sure you still have a good 1/8"+ of the projectile showing. If it swallows it then that's not good.

Other than that, check the finish, look for import marks, make sure It's not a recovered drill rifle (weld marks on barrel ring, oprod track), If you can take the sights off check the sight serrations, if not just adjust the elevation and check for good solid clicks.

Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.