M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinkimg about a new carry gun...a Glock Model 30 in .45 ACP. I like the compact size and fairly low weight. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model?

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
One of my carry pieces is a full size Glock 21. The Glock 30 would be a nice piece to carry as well mainly due to it's smaller size and the fact that it can use the same mags as the 21. What I am seriously considering for a smaller .45 is the Glock 36 "slimline;" not as many rounds as the Model 30 but who needs them when you shoot a .45 auto?

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Yes

.My buddy is a sheriff and carries this model off duty.

Since I load all his 45 ammo for him I get to shoot his G-30 a lot.
I prefer my G-21 at the range, but the G-30 is easier to conceal.

I recommend the G-30 with two 13 rd G-21 mags as a backup.

Shorter barrel and you will lose a small amount of velocity, but the 45 ACP isn't "fast" anyways. The lack of max velocity will hinder expansion of SOME hollow points. I recommend extreme shock or Powerball to counter this. Maybe staggering one for one of each in the 10 round magazine.

This is what I would do. If I chose to carry the G-30

·
Registered
46 Posts
I carry the 36 with Corbon powerballs. I also changed my recoil springs to Wolff as the factory captured spring assembly failed me.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
You guys carrying the 21 or 30 are better men than I... those suckers are thick/blocky. But then after carrying a j frame and then an LCP in my pocket, anything else feels gigantic. :D

I'm sure if the SHTF I'd rather have a G30 in my hand than my LCP though. GI1

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wish I never got rid of mine. It is a very controlable compact cannon. Not a good inside waist band gun , very thick.

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
You guys carrying the 21 or 30 are better men than I... those suckers are thick/blocky. But then after carrying a j frame and then an LCP in my pocket, anything else feels gigantic. :D

I'm sure if the SHTF I'd rather have a G30 in my hand than my LCP though. GI1
True enough the 21 is a big, bulky piece. Like I indicated in my earlier post, it's "one of my carry pieces;" not necessarily the primary one. Like you, I typically carry a a smaller piece such as Smith M640 or a Kahr 9mm. The 21 is there when I feel a need for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glock 30

Glock 30
I had a G30 for about a year. It was the most accurate Glock that I ever had. I used to deminstate its accuracy at 50-Yards. Also had a G21.
I kept my G23 and my G31. Presently, I am carring a 1911 Commander length, just because it is thinner. Probally a personel preference, more then anything.
My favorite handgun will always be the 1911 and the Model 29.
Mach 1 Stang

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Glock 30

I am thinking about a new carry gun...a Glock Model 30 in .45 ACP. I like the compact size and fairly low weight. Does anyone have any experience with this particular model?
I sold mine last summer for funds to buy a Les Baer 1911.
Perceived recoil was more evident with the Glock than with a 1911 or clone thereof. I find the 1911 the be more comfy concealed than the Glock. Just my 2 cents.MC1

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'll be the dissenter here I guess. Shot the small Glock 45 for about a year and got rid of it. Recoil compared to the 21 was vicious to me and the grip was short enough you could pinch skin on your shooting hand when doing quick mag changes if not careful. Neither trait made me want to carry it and the 21 really isn't that much bigger yet displays none of the small guns faults. The newer 21SF is a really great gun. As for carry, take a look at the Simply Rugged website(there's a BUNCH of great holster makers out there, SR just happens to be the one I have used). I routinely carry a 4" S&W M66 in their Sourdough Pancake completely hidden and in comfort. The small Glock 45 is just as reliable and accurate as any Glock, to me it's just TOO small.

·
Registered
439 Posts
good review

Here is a good little review of said Glock 30. I hope this helps you in your decision process.
Cheers

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3d73Q1MB4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A3d73Q1MB4[/ame]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I own a Glock 30 that I used for concealed carry but have since bought a Glock 23 and now carry that one. The 30 just seemed a little clumsy in my hand...probably has to do with the loss of the pinky grip during mag changes. It seems a little nit-picky but it mattered to me. I now keep my 30 strategically placed in the house but am thinking of selling it for another 21..or maybe even a 20...

·
Registered
156 Posts
didnt like my ammo

traded mine for a Sig 1911 C-3. all my other 45s liked my hand loads but my G-30 was very picky. For liability reasons I carry the same load as the police, but practice with handloads and shoot handloads in CCW matches. Lost my butt on the trade, but I had lost confidence in that particular gun. It had to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been carrying my G30 off-duty for about 5 years now. I have big meat paws, so it fits my hand very well with the Pierce extension. It is a little monster though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts