M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I picked up my new Glock.I used to gripe about them,make fun of em.Decades of praise and some unbelievable converts got me to rethink.
Glock has designed what they call RTF2 of rough textured frame that they claim in their 2010 annual magazine was developed from feedback from members of USSOCOM(yep our special operations command) for a superior grip under all conditions and with gloves.These "polymids" cover the front sides and backstrap of the pistol and grip your hands VERY well,and I felt no sliding in the hand under fire.

GEN4 glocks have the RTF2 grips but also have additional back straps that add length to the grip in 9mm and 40s&w.
Short frame standard.
Medium back strap +2mm(standard frame)
Large backstrap+4mm(large frame)
also gen4 comes with a mag release that can be converted to left hand(sold me),and a dual recoil spring that brings 40 cal recoil down to close to 9mm
I added Glock night sights (about $60 bucks)

Enough tech crap lets get to the shootin'

Disclaimer... I went to the Gym for the first time in years yesterday and my chest arms and shoulders are stiff and sore.Fatigue set in quickly and after 20 rounds I was shaking like a drunk having dt's.the first 10 rounds went well.The NOS energy drink didnt help.Also Ive never claimed to be a master pistol shooter and have always gravitated to rifles and shotguns so mine is no "expert" opinion.

I started out with the large(4mm)back strap and the first 3 rounds(pmc 180gr fmj) at 15 yards were 8-9 and a bullseye10
the other seven were 2,8's and 4, 7'sand 1,9.The grip seemed large so I switched to the medium backstrap (2mm) the length and girth of the grip seemed bulky(Im used to a 1911) and this seemed more comfortable.
The next 11 rounds went well enough although my grouping opened up most likely due to fatigue and lack of shooting lately.

In the end I had 4,6's 2,5's a total of 6 bullseyesDont ya love the 10 ring.
Final score 162 of 210 (21 rounds total)on my first trip with a new glock,and I wasnt at MY best. And not all of it was slow fire.
summary The .40 has a short snappy controllable recoil as opposed to the mule kick of th .45 or .357. The pistol performed flawlessly with no noticable grip movement in your hand.The RTG2 frame was comfortable and very "grippy".The adjustable grip size with the add on backstraps should allow any one with any size hands to be compfortable.
Despite my sore muscles and not shooting for a while I was impressed with the accuracy here.Honestly my total score may have been better shooting single action with the .357 without the sore muscles,but I'd be hard pressed to get 6 bullseyes.My 1911 I really dont think would do that well(1 bull if I'm lucky,but a decent shooter).

I highly recommend you look at the RTG2 frame and hopefully it will be coming to the .45 soon.

I give it P_GP_GP_GP_GP_G

I have to go to work now so any questions or comments will be answered but itll be after 2200

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol. Glocks Rock. I'm all about forged steel and wood, 1911, BHPs, yadda yadda...

I like Glocks because they work and are tough as nails. I consider my G19 Gen3 with Triji sights to be the "If I could only have one pistol" choice.

Thanks for the write up Bro!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Walther P1

I don't usually pay much attention to handguns but, I saw one of these at Cabelas over the weekend. Thought it was a P38 at first glance.
How does this 'update' compare with the P38 as far as accuracy and reliability?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't usually pay much attention to handguns but, I saw one of these at Cabelas over the weekend. Thought it was a P38 at first glance.
How does this 'update' compare with the P38 as far as accuracy and reliability?
I cant say as I've never played with one. This glock made me look like a shooter on a down day.One of the main reasons I looked at the glock was everyone,hunters,sheriff deputies,police,and even game wardens,rave about them.

Also knowing the main LEO distributor in the state (my gun dealer 3 miles down the road) who has taken care of me and given me good advice and deals for 20+ years.I have heard about law enforcement agencies swapping to glock and the reputation for absolute dependability these pistols have.Many cops buy their own for duty over others including s&w.

This company has catered to and supported police and military all over the world,and sport shooters as well.They impressed me the old fashioned way. As a security guard I got discount pricing with a statement from my company the same as police,military,emt's and others.These people who put their lives on the line for chump change can get a glock for a rediculous price.

I was impressed with their ethics before I was impressed with their product,and regular pricing wasnt bad to begin with.And their tactical light is under $100,may try one of them too.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
As a sheriff's deputy I was originally issued a revolver when I started in '88. I had to do the wheel gun for a year and then I could go to a semiauto. My carry up to a few years prior had been a 1911 and then a switch to a SigSauer P220 .45 ACP. That Sig was actually a Browning Double Action BDA .45 with a European style heel magazine release. I carried the Sig P220 after my first year for the next 12 years when due to a situtation that happened in another jurisdiction I accepted the county's offer of a Glock 22 in .40 S&W.

I've carried a Glock ever since. About five years ago I was given a Gen 3 Glock 22 with night sights (as was my first G22). I guess that after X number of rounds the Glocks need to be resprung and my agency decided to upgrade all the existing Glocks to the newer Gen 3 configuration, which I think is just a grip profile enhancement and an integral equipment rail.

While I never did get my paper scores up to where they were with the Sig 220 I still find the G22 to be reliable and more than satisfactory in the accuracy department.

BTW, by back up is a G27 in .40 S&W. I also have two G23's the mid size .40. Good guns!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts