M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am running a USCG muzzle brake with the front sight on it. I'm considering switching to a GLFS and direct attach muzzle device.

My questions:

1. Will this shorten the total length at all? Obviously it depends on the muzzle device but if I were to get one of similar length to the SEI good iron (USCG).

2. Will it be lighter with the GLFS and direct attach? This is at the very end of the barrel so any weight I can shave means less nose weight, which is what I want.

3. Will I be able to attach any 7.62 muzzle device directly? I don't know exactly what the threads are, and if I went with a muzzle brake, if it would time properly.

Thanks.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
yes , get the surefire m14 flash hider or brake.

remove your castle nut, then the flash supressor.

next remove the gas plug, and gas lock.

install gas lock front sight next.

then you put shims down inside the brake or flashider, and hold the action muzzle down while you thread the brake directly.

the surefire flash hider and brake attach to the castle nut threads. it works great! i didnt even have to glue mine on, just barely past hand tight with a armorers wrench and its solid.

this decreases rifle length a great deal.

·
13,515 Posts
it made my scout almost as short as a socom

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do muzzle devices other than surefires work? I'm specifically looking at devices that must be timed, but not sure how I would go about timing it.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
There are 3 other muzzle devices that I've tried that have the .595-32 castle nut thread so they can directly thread onto the barrel without a thread adapter. They all are designed to take a suppressor but that doesn't matter for this discussion. They are, the YHM (too long, and heavy), the Gemtech, and the 18T AAC. without measuring I'd say that the AAC may add the least to the length of the rifle. The Gemtech and AAC are both pretty light. as far as performace, you'd have to test them for yourself. I, also ended up using the Surefire and am happy with the performace. I believe that SEI offers a direct connect, but have not tried it.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I did a quick check on the weight for various gas cylinder lock and muzzle devices. You should have a net loss of around 10 grams weight overall by going to a GLFS and direct connect muzzle attachment depending on manufacturer and part number.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Half and inch and 1/3 of an ounce is nice, but might not be worth the cost of a GLFS and new muzzle device. The USCG brake is actually quite effective and not an eardrum killer like I expected it to be.

I do plan to use the irons on this build a fair amount so the extra sight radius length helps too.

·
13,515 Posts
the vortex need not be timed.

the rest come with shims , its easy.

all these are DESIGNED for the m14, so dont worry if they work or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts