M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a Glenn Nelson built SAI National Match M1A that came from SAI with a bolt other than TRW?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You're going to make me go to the safe aren't you.....

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That I know, it is a 193xx and the barrel is marked GN - 82.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
TRW bolts

Back in the day (1980's) TRW bolts were cheap and plentiful. I remember a table with bags of NIW bolts. 250 + bolts. With a single bolt for $15 and a year or two later they were $20 each. I only picked up a few of them. A parts kit was $249, but they would take less.

So I am sure Glen bought them cheap, and stacked them deep.I have only heard that he used TRW only bolts.

Reactions: Different

·
Registered
161 Posts
Are all Glen Nelson rifles stamped GN on the barrel?
I know 4 others that have Glen Nelson Builds not including myself. Mine is June of 81 and it does not have the GN stamped on the barrel and another is January of 81 and his does not have the stamping either.

It seems as though he started stamping them in 82 and I was told that it could still be hit or miss. One thing that all 4 of the Nelson SM builds did have....is that they usually have numbers in grease pen written on the heel, in front of the mag release, trigger housing and or even on the barrel. They do wear off over time on the outside but mine was very apparent on the housing.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know 4 others that have Glen Nelson Builds not including myself. Mine is June of 81 and it does not have the GN stamped on the barrel and another is January of 81 and his does not have the stamping either.

It seems as though he started stamping them in 82 and I was told that it could still be hit or miss. One thing that all 4 of the Nelson SM builds did have....is that they usually have numbers in grease pen written on the heel, in front of the mag release, trigger housing and or even on the barrel. They do wear off over time on the outside but mine was very apparent on the housing.
Mine has the same number (62) written in grease pencil on the heel of the receiver, the side of the trigger group, on the stock in the barrel channel and under the buttplate as well as on the rear sight apature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts