M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to find out some information on a rifle. It is a Springfield Armory M1a Super Match, with a six digit serial number that starts with 068xxx. I’ve been told that this is a Glen Nelson build. I’ve called SA however I was told that their records are in archives. Any suggestions where one might look to obtain information on this rifle? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call again. Your rifle was made in the early 90"s. They should be able to tell you if it is a factory Super Match. If it is, the receiver will have the rear lug and it will have been built in Nelson's shop.
I’ll try SA again. Is there a serial number list somewhere? I Googled for one but didn’t find anything useful. My gun does have a rear lug. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They had record of my new to me 1990 National Match being factory built as such but didn’t provide any additional info in the response to the email I sent from their website. I really think it depends on who is responding to the detail of info you receive from them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They had record of my new to me 1990 National Match being factory built as such but didn’t provide any additional info in the response to the email I sent from their website. I really think it depends on who is responding to the detail of info you receive from them.
I’ll try sending a email. The man I spoke with said only one person worked the archives and had a significant backlog. I left my number at his request and he said he‘d pass my inquiry. It’s been a month, no call. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
14,781 Posts
He may have misunderstood your serial number. Yours should be in the computer. Call again.

They can usually tell you the month and year, as well as the model number. A factory Super Match usually starts with SA. If the model number ends in 00, it left as a receiver.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
If it has a rear lug, it’s by default a Supermatch receiver. Typically SAI can only tell you if it was sold as a Supermatch rifle, or receiver only, and month and year of when it was sold. Sometimes if a custom stock was ordered that will be noted, but that’s about it. They don’t have a lot of data.

Fwiw, I have a 67k Supermatch (lugged) receiver that was sold as a receiver only. That’s all they could tell me. However, based on barrel markings, I could surmise that it was built by Champions Choice into a Supermatch rifle in late 1991 or early 1992 (heavy Barnett barrel was stamped “CC” and date stamped 10-91). If you post pics of barrel with op rod pulled back, that can sometimes provide some info. If it’s unmarked it’s likely the original Douglas SAI barrel. Glen Nelson also used a distinct brown bedding material in that area and that can help identify it was built by his shop. (Pics are needed with action out if stock to show bedding).

The other clue on my 67k Supermatch that it was not built by Glen Nelson for SAI is that the rear lug had been carefully threaded for a torque screw. SAI/Nelson never did that to their factory Supermatches, so it was done by the builder at Champions Choice (in Tennessee).
Gas Gun accessory Trigger Composite material Auto part

·
Registered
932 Posts
If it has a rear lug, it’s by default a Supermatch receiver. Typically SAI can only tell you if it was sold as a Supermatch rifle, or receiver only, and month and year of when it was sold. Sometimes if a custom stock was ordered that will be noted, but that’s about it. They don’t have a lot of data.

Fwiw, I have a 67k Supermatch (lugged) receiver that was sold as a receiver only. That’s all they could tell me. However, based on barrel markings, I could surmise that it was built by Champions Choice into a Supermatch rifle in late 1991 or early 1992 (heavy Barnett barrel was stamped “CC” and date stamped 10-91). If you post pics of barrel with op rod pulled back, that can sometimes provide some info. If it’s unmarked it’s likely the original Douglas SAI barrel. Glen Nelson also used a distinct brown bedding material in that area and that can help identify it was built by his shop. (Pics are needed with action out if stock to show bedding).

The other clue on my 67k Supermatch that it was not built by Glen Nelson for SAI is that the rear lug had been carefully threaded for a torque screw. SAI/Nelson never did that to their factory Supermatches, so it was done by the builder at Champions Choice (in Tennessee). View attachment 483527
I’d say Ronnie Morris had his hands on that Cc marked rifle. He did good work.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I’d say Ronnie Morris had his hands on that Cc marked rifle. He did good work.
Yes, I think that is correct. It was well made, but the original 1991 match barrel had a throat erosion reading of 4.5, so the barrel was shot-out. I ended up totally re-building it as an early 1990s Navy M14 Sniper rifle replica (with a lightly used 1993 military barrel). Issac McCaskill built it. Here’s the initial inspiration from a 1991 pic, and final build (w/ 1993 dated heavy barrel):
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Aircraft Trigger Vehicle Aviation Gun barrel

I’d like to find one more SAI Supermatch receiver in the 65-67k serial range.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yes, I think that is correct. It was well made, but the original 1991 match barrel had a throat erosion reading of 4.5, so the barrel was shot-out. I ended up totally re-building it as an early 1990s Navy M14 Sniper rifle replica (with a light used 1993 barrel). Issac McCaskill built it. Here’s the initial inspiration and final build (w/ 1993 dated heavy barrel):
View attachment 483629
View attachment 483632
I’d like to find one more SAI Supermatch receiver in the 65-67k serial range.
William that right there is simply Outstanding!

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is the response I got from SAI about my 57K National match when I requested additional build data and the headspace measurement.

“I’m sorry but we don’t have that kind of info for older rifles prior to our electronic records.”

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is the response I got from SAI about my 57K National match when I requested additional build data and the headspace measurement.

“I’m sorry but we don’t have that kind of info for older rifles prior to our electronic records.”
They told me that my information was in the archives. And someone would contact me, but so far that hasn’t happened.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
persistence pays off. I was out of town for several days and called SA again this morning and learned the following
1) Built May 92
2) TRW bolt
3) HR trigger group
4) Douglas heavy barrel
5) oversized walnut stock ( which is bedded with the brown color bedding)
6) confirmed it was built by Glenn Nelson
I appreciate all that responded. SA is sending me a confirmation letter on the rifle. By the way the lady I spoke to was great, exceptional customer service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts