M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my next rifle, I'd like to use a fiberglass stock.
I'm wondering:
1.) If I use a reciever without a rear lug, will bedding the stock make the rifle more accurate?
2.) If I use a reciever that has a rear lug, will bedding the stock make the rifle more accurate?
3.) If I decide not to bed the stock at all, how will that affect my accuracy, both with and without a rear lugged reciever?
Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm wondering:
1.) If I use a reciever without a rear lug, will bedding the stock make the rifle more accurate?
2.) If I use a reciever that has a rear lug, will bedding the stock make the rifle more accurate?
3.) If I decide not to bed the stock at all, how will that affect my accuracy, both with and without a rear lugged reciever?
Thanks, everyone!
1.The rear lug is to make the bedding last longer

2. No refer to answer 1

3.The rear lug does not improve the accuracy refer to A. 1

This is the way I understand the jist of it. The lug gives more surface for the bedding to bite to.
If im wrong sombody please correct me

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Epoxy bedding will usually give better accuracy - the purpose of bedding is to make the receiver a better fit in the stock.
If the stock already happens to fit really well (not likely) then the bedding doesn't add much.

Using a high quality stiff fiberglass stock will usually give much better results than a GI fiberglass (the GI stock is too flexible to start with, and the bedding doesn't fix that).

If you already own the stock & rear-lugged receiver, then I'd just do some testing as-is.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm wondering:
Thanks, everyone!
1) It will improve shot to shot consistency, but is not the be-all end-all in improving the accuracy of an M14. There are other mods that are needed to get the most from it.

2) A rear-lug gives more surface area for the bedding to "hold" on the receiver. It does not make the bedding last longer, but makes the value of bedding a rifle last longer. The "value" meaning more life to the shot-to-shot consistency obtained from bedding because the bedding provides more surface area for the receiver. (i.e. You will get more good "bang" before re-bedding is required).

3) Like it was mentioned above, no 14 stock has a perfect fit between it and the receiver. If the receiver can shift it position in the stock upon firing a round, even a slight shift, accuracy (actually we should say "precision") will decline.

OK - No Lug 14, No bedding
Better: No Lug 14, bedding
Best: Rear Lug 14, bedding..

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Interesting comments...

However,
1. Yes, bedding a standard receiver will almost always make a rifle more accurate.
2. Yes, there are advantages to using a rear lugged reciver that includes improved accuracy, although the difference may be small. Lugs do add to bedding longivity. The use of a torque screw in the rear lug will relieve stress on the receiver if properly installed. This can improve accuracy and functioning.
3. The accuracy of any rifle is effected by the fit of the action in the stock and other factors. Not bedding the rifle will not enhance it's accuracy, but the rifle may shoot very well depending on how well everything fits together.

·
Registered
558 Posts
However,
1. Yes, bedding a standard receiver will almost always make a rifle more accurate.
2. Yes, there are advantages to using a rear lugged reciver that includes improved accuracy, although the difference may be small. Lugs do add to bedding longivity. The use of a torque screw in the rear lug will relieve stress on the receiver if properly installed. This can improve accuracy and functioning.
3. The accuracy of any rifle is effected by the fit of the action in the stock and other factors. Not bedding the rifle will not enhance it's accuracy, but the rifle may shoot very well depending on how well everything fits together.
Interesting comments as well...However, bedding a rifle will make it more precise. Accuracy is a condition of the settings of the sights and the person pulling the trigger....

Textbook stuff...

High Accuracy, Low Precision...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:High_accuracy_Low_precision.svg

Most rifles are capable of reasonable accuracy once we adjust the sights and learn to shoot it.

High Precision, Low Accuracy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:High_precision_Low_accuracy.svg

Fewer rifles are capable of consistent precision until we do things to them like glass bedding.....

It does not make your rifle more accurate, it makes it capable of finer precision...

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Precision vs Accuracy

In terms of describing a rifle the two terms are synonymous. Of course the ability to hit any target consistantly is dependent on the shooters ability and skill regardless of the rifles quality.
An accurate rifle is a precision instrument no doubt. In this case the question was regarding what it takes to make the rifle more accurate. Glass bedding can and does. It works best, however when coupled with other modifications designed to enhance accuracy, making the rifle a precision tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts