M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the choice is this: the Remington R1, or the Springfield 1911 Range Officer model? Not interested in any other brands, models (yet).

I like the hammer lock tang and adjustable sights and slightly larger slide guard better on the Springfield, but it's harder to reach over the guard to **** with your thumb. The Remington is $140 cheaper at the shop where I saw them, but it has a smaller hammer lock tang, and is more difficult to release it with my thumb, than the Springfield, and it has a fixed rear sight. I like the slightly smoother finish on the Remington better than the Springfield's more Parkerized-like finish. Grips are both nice, feel is much the same between the two, and both have very nice actions. I like the looks of the hammer and trigger and grips better on the Springfield, although they are minor decision makers.

Anybody shot them both, and if so, which did you like best and why?

Reactions: Deek

·
Registered
264 Posts
I own a Kimber because I got it at a good deal.but I have shot both models you speak of. If I was going to buy one now I would get the Range Officer, I think it shoots better but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Everyone I've talked to recently says the Range Officer is good to go. Been considering selling the wifes Dan Wesson shes never fired, and turning into cash and a cheaper gun she'll actually shoot. Nobody wants to pay for that CBOB though.

As far as your hammer preference.... Im no help there. I carry a Kimber, so haven't lowered a hammer in 10 years.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
RO. not that it REALLY matters but the RO has forged frame + slide vs. the R1 with forged slide and cast frame. i have shot both, and since i'm not a big time pistol shooter at all, i cannot tell a difference in any 1911 as far as the way it handles from RIA up to Colt and Kimber. all the varieties are purely cosmetic i believe. i am after a SAi 1911 myself, a RO, loaded, or mil-spec will be fine for me. good luck in finding the right one for the right price.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
something to consider, and a question i have as well is that i have read that the new Springers have a hammer lock on it or something? kind of like the hilery hole on the S&W revolvers. i could be mixed up on this but i would not want anything of the sort on my 1911.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
something to consider, and a question i have as well is that i have read that the new Springers have a hammer lock on it or something? kind of like the hilery hole on the S&W revolvers. i could be mixed up on this but i would not want anything of the sort on my 1911.

Springfield 1911's have their "ILS" lock in the mainspring housing. Easy enough to change out.

I have had a few Springfield 1911's, they can be built into very nice pistols. For the money the R1's aren't bad either, but the frame is cast not forged.

Given the choice between the two I would choose Colt!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Well with the Limited choice you gave us just get the RO!
Not that I can verify from owning one but I understand the Remington is not the one from WWII if you get my meaning!

Reactions: TheShooter

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have the RO and like it a lot. The comparison with the R1 is apples and oranges as Springfields Mil Spec would be more similar. My vote is either the RO or the new RO "Compact" which is about to be released...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
The Springfield Range Officer is a bit better.

Dutch

Reactions: jtom

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies, this obviously is a sensitive issue, lol.

My take was also the Springfield, of the two choices, even at the higher price. I keep thinking about a 1911 of some sort, I've never had a .45, might as well add one to the gun locker. I doubt I'd carry it as a CC, so a compact isn't on the menu, I'll just go with the full size if I get one. I have a good .40, a well as a 10mm to carry if I want something with some power. Kimber is surely a beautiful pistol, but the $$$ can be spent on something not quite as nice, maybe, and have some bucks left for bullets. Plus, I like the idea of a Springfield pistol as a companion to the M1A. I was at the gun shop where I buy my reloading stuff, and he had the Remington, a Springfield, and a Taurus. I didn't even want to look at the Taurus.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Kimber is surely a beautiful pistol, but the $$$ can be spent on something not quite as nice, maybe, and have some bucks left for bullets.
My Kimber is over 10yrs old now. I haven't owned a newer one, but it seems like most things......their quality may have slipped while their price went up. IIRC I paid $670 out the door for my Pro Carry II.

Looks like you've found the same response I did though....the peanut gallery has spoken. GI1 The Range Officer is on the list for my next pistol purchase. Im gonna tell the wife its for her......then use it in Steel Challenge shoots. GI5 At least thats the plan....

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
OK since the Door is now open my Colt series 80 1911-A1 Gov't Model .45 has been in use since 1988. Has had one Jam (ammo related)in over 50,000 rounds. Is on the 2nd Barrel and has the same grips. It feeds ANY type of ammo from SWCL to SPHP..
It was (than) $500.00. You get what you pay for sometimes! I don't expect some of the new offerings will be able to compete!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.