M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Was not impressed with the Crown on my Regard (fully functional, but...)

I also wanted the Barrel flush with the slide.

I have a 80 year old Lathe with only a 3/4" thru hole, in the headstock spindle.

Also my 4 Jaw is not deep enough to hold the barrel length with the lugs in the way, sooo...

Had to use the 3 jaw.

Turned a jig to hold the Barrel and marked everything to be able to keep it indexed to the chuck as it was turned.

Went with a 20 degree cut for a little more protection than my usual 11 degree Crown.

Think it came out pretty nice, left a hair of overhang, here are some crummy pics (as usual) but looks better to me!
Gas Machine Engineering Plumbing Nut
Household hardware Gas Fixture Auto part Nickel
Bicycle part Rim Bumper Wood Cylinder
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Machine gun Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Composite material Bumper
Gas Wood Door Bumper Bicycle part

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn fine job there! Nice to see those older machines putting in the work
Hi,
Thanks, a 1945 Clausing 12X36 MK3A...

Has Timken Roller Bearings instead of bronze bushings (Southbend)

Allows a higher RPM, good for more modern Carbide Tooling.

Wish the thru hole was larger, but???

On the last pass, jacked the speed up, put on some cutting oil and pulled a slow feed with the compound and got a pretty good finish.

Gas Table Office equipment Machine Machine tool

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,608 Posts
Wish I had a lathe, here's a picture of a recessed crown I did on a Ruger Super Blackhawk using counterbores, it was cut to 4 3/4" by my Brother and a buddy of his with a hacksaw, It was not straight. I used a 1" counterbore with a 7/16" pilot that I sanded down to fit the bore to clean up the face of the barrel and used a 5/8" counterbore with the same pilot and recessed the crown and used a brass lap the clean up the rifling.
Cylinder Material property Gas Nickel Household hardware

Air gun Trigger Line Wood Office equipment

I had a smith drill and tap the barrel for a front ramp off of a Marlin 45-70 barrel, maybe some day I will finish it.

eQ

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wish I had a lathe, here's a picture of a recessed crown I did on a Ruger Super Blackhawk using counterbores, it was cut to 4 3/4" by my Brother and a buddy of his with a hacksaw, It was not straight. I used a 1" counterbore with a 7/16" pilot that I sanded down to fit the bore to clean up the face of the barrel and used a 5/8" counterbore with the same pilot and recessed the crown and used a brass lap the clean up the rifling.
View attachment 486794
View attachment 486796
I had a smith drill and tap the barrel for a front ramp off of a Marlin 45-70 barrel, maybe some day I will finish it.

eQ
Hi,
That looks fantastic, you are obviously better with those Cutters than I am!

I had to really slow down and lighten up, to get where they would not leave chatter marks but...

I'm sure every Hobby Gunsmith has a collection of different cut tools for a Crown Refurb!

Here is my probably, 25 year old set from Brownell's...

Still comes in handy when a barrel can not go into the Lathe, for one reason or another!!!

Tool Cosmetics Font Metalworking hand tool Rectangle

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,
Saw this, Tisas CHF Barrel machining, after forging!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts