M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the pictures , it appears that the trimmer cuts the case mouth almost to a point. Or are my eyes bad? Pre mature split necks ? Just asking , not downing it. I am considering one , but to me the other brand seems like a more precise tool due to the fact that you can adjust the chamfer / debur. I actually had one but had a problem with cs so I sent it back. Wish I would have kept it ( The things we do when were pissed ). I just would like to use one first , but that is not possible.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Giraurd case trimmer is a must for bulk shooters. I use it to prep .223 brass during high power off season. I'll have 5gal buckets of re-sized brass all ready to go. On any sleepy winter Sunday afternoon, you can prep thousands of cases once you get the trimmer dialed in. Its a great tool. Plus all you need to do is purchase the the case holder and cutter for different calibers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got a Gracey with a Giraud cutter installed and had the same question about the inside and outside chamfers coming to a sharp point at the case mouth. I emailed Mr. Giraud and here is his response;

The cutter does have three surfaces, one inside 15 degree angle, one outside 45 degree angle, and a radius between the inside and outside surfaces. On your blade it should be 0.004" radius. With a standard case wall thickness of 0.012 to 0.015 on a .223 case, that leaves just a few thousandths of case for a chamfer if the radius is centered up. Add clearance to the case
fitting the case holder and the case mouth can move from a perfect fit until the inside chamfer and outside chamfer overlap. This applies to my brand of trimmer as well as the Gracey.
If you hold the case firmly, it will self center on the mating tapers of the case shoulder and reverse image inside the case holder. If you hold it loosely, it will wobble and move allowing the overlapping chamfers. This overlapping is where the "sharp edge" comes from. It is not really a sharp edge as much as a burr. If you take a scotchbrite dishwashing scrubbing pad and twist the case mouth once into the surface like you were trying to cut a circle out of the pad, it will remove 99% of the burr and leave the case
mouth very dull in comparison. You don't even have to press hard either. Some folks feel this is an easier fix than holding the case firmly and not letting it wobble.
There is a problem trying to fit each case holder to the cartridge case to prevent the wobble. There are too many slight variations in the size of resizing dies, cartridge cases, firearm chambers, etc. to make it work exactly right in all cases. If I made the case holders tighter for you, the next customer would complain his cases stick in the same holder. All in all, the size of each case holder is optimally the SAAMI spec size of the case plus 0.001 pr 0.002 for clearance. So while the "wobble" may be there, it is needed to make the fit universal for 99% of the customers.
As far as the sharp edge causing split case necks, nope, it doesn't. After 10 years and several people mentioning it, nobody has ever come back and said it did change the frequency of split case mouths. There have been comments that it could, but nobody has ever had it happen, its just a non-issue.

I can live with that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had my Giraud tirmmer for over 3 yrs now. If you are talking about the bevel and chamfer, this can be adjusted to almost no bevel or chamfer at all.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Run With It
It is the 2nd best $$$$ I ever spent

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As stated by others "Can't live without it" As stated it's a beveled trim/debur/chamfer and is not hard to adjust, it's not the cheapest on the market but when I am able to trim 500 cases in a hour while sipping coffee it was well worth the $$$

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I have a Giraud and still think it's an excellent piece of equipment and probably one of the most used pieces that I have on my bench.

I only bought cutters for the calibers I shoot most often. For the hardly used calibers like the .300 WM, etc. I still have my RCBS which does a good job with the 3-way cutter head.

Anything that will save me time and energy is a God send for me.

Tom O.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Negitive.....

It's true that the blade has a V notch but you set it up so the bottom of the V doesn't touch the case What you get is a little outside and a little inside campher. Jim

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you can adjust the chamfer and debur on the Giraurd? The way it looks is , you can move the blade side to side , so if you decrease one you increase the other ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure about the Giraud but on the Gracey, the cutter can be adjusted to almost any angle. I tried to get just a slight outside debur and about a 1/32" inside bevel but I couldn't get both. I should post a pic...maybe I'll get around to that.

I'm not sure how the Giraud adjusts...probably the same. I went through quite a few cases before settling on what I thought was the best combination. That's why I emailed Giraud to see what he had to say. The sharp edge at the case mouth is a non-issue. All of the loads I fired at this weekend's match did not split.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could put a Giraud cutter on a Dillon Rapid Trim motor. That would be the hot setup. FWIW, I'm using the Gracey to debur and bevel the cases after I've trimmed and resized them on my Dillon 550.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts