M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Hope there are not any expensive knik knaks on mom'shelves in the house.

It's nearly summer.

Get something he has to play with outside.

Water propelled rockets were our favorite at that age.

Thames and Kosmos Air + Water Power on Amazon looks like a neat kit he can build and play with.

NO BATTERIES REQUIRED!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hope there are not any expensive knik knaks on mom'shelves in the house.

It's nearly summer.

Get something he has to play with outside.

Water propelled rockets were our favorite at that age.

Thames and Kosmos Air + Water Power on Amazon looks like a neat kit he can build and play with.

NO BATTERIES REQUIRED!
Oh man water rockets were so much fun. One thing that was not fun is when you launched one into orbit and it landed on the neighbors roof!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Bought one of those a few years back for the grandkids - they have a ball with it outside. Used to include inside, but rethought that idea.......

Another one that's fun for them is a ping pong ball shooter - vary similar to this one, but easier to pump for the little(r) kids.....I'm sure a search on Google will turn them up also.....

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
No offense.....but isn't he a little too old for something like that?

Why not a simple BB gun like the Red Ryder? Or maybe consider Air Soft?

Bought my Nephew a BB gun when he turned 5. He's 35 now and getting ready to retire from the Air Force....he still has that BB gun. Said it was the best gift he ever got.

All my kids started at age 5 with the same Red Ryder. Then moved on with the same single shot iron sighted 22. They all still have them....ages 13, 21, 23, 28....and still enjoy a competitive soup can competition in the back yard when together!

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,942 Posts
A 9 year old boy should have a BB gun. If he is taught responsibly and is somewhat mature and interested another year or two for a .22LR AR-15 type or a small .22 bolt gun.
m14brian

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I was taught the shooting fundamentals by a WWII Navy vet that was my neighbor, he had a lever action BB gun ( I would assume a Red Ryder) He would set up Shaffer beer cans inside his garage and would let me go to town on them all day long while he sat there with my dad making sure that I had a ample supply of fresh cans to hone my marksmanship skills on. He would tell me stories of his time on a aircraft carrier and the perils of war when I was done shooting. That man was my second father and was taken from this earth way to soon, his memory lives on in stories as this.

What I am saying is the true gift is not the gift itself, but the memories created with that gift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it's going to be BB gun or Red Ryder! I'll show him and he'll choose. Thanks guys!
(Apparently I really got stuck in time when he was just a kid)

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
bigmickeymike,

If it was me (and it isn't GI2) I'd check with my brother/sister to confirm they are OKay with my nephew having a BB or other gun. My liberal sister would scream and cry if I gave her kids something that could "put their eye out" at that age.

As a less-threatening test of skill & obedience of safety rules, when I was that age I had a Daisy pop gun (air gun?) - lever action charging & puff of air, not intended to fire a projectile. However, my uncle and I figured out we could stick wine corks in the muzzle and shoot the corks 10-15 feet and was even indoor safe. We had a great time competing and knocking down soda cans. My uncle was able to furnish a new cork within a few minutes of a request, LOL. I don't think Daisy makes the pop gun any longer but something along those lines could be proof to your sibling their kid is ready for something more aggressive. Maybe one of those advanced Nerf foam dart guns?

I stumbled upon this Nerf site game:
https://nerf.hasbro.com/en-us/media/nerf-test-range-360:D4F5E7FE-5056-9047-F5EB-515CE8E3A8BF

1 - 12 of 12 Posts