M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
18,639 Posts
Or the rifle in the stock had been Proof Fired.

DI5

·
Super Moderator
3,704 Posts
Hi Saw Filler....

If you really want to know what stock you have you need to take more pictures as you really need to look at specific components of the stock so you can go through a progression and come up with a definitive answer [or in most cases a definitive answer].

Take Pics of the following:

* Front Stock Ferrule
* You have the proof P in your original pic but a better one would be good!
* Does the stock have a DOD stamp on the side opposite of the full-auto cut-out?
* Pull the butt plate off the rear of the stock and take a pic or see if it has any definitive markings under the butt plate that you can share with us.
* Lastly if you take some pics of each side of the stock and the top and bottom of the receiver Mag area that may help as well as certain manufactures have some identifiable characteristics.

Just a suggestion if you want more input on manufacturer / ID

- M1Army

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
How can you tell with the reflection?
I think I can see the serifs coming off the top and bottom of the P, but it could just be the reflection. He said it's half moon crimped so should be Serifs making it a Sacks stock.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think I can see the serifs coming off the top and bottom of the P, but it could just be the reflection. He said it's half moon crimped so should be Serifs making it a Sacks stock.
Not so fast. I have a Sacks (marked) with half moon crimps and the arial P proof mark. According the latest info from Different, the only stock maker that has yet to be confirmed with both the serif and arial proof markings in all their various sizes in H&R. He also is thinking there could be a 6th stock maker now, that marked with a 'B'.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
Not so fast. I have a Sacks (marked) with half moon crimps and the arial P proof mark. According the latest info from Different, the only stock maker that has yet to be confirmed with both the serif and arial proof markings in all their various sizes in H&R. He also is thinking there could be a 6th stock maker now, that marked with a 'B'.
Well in my experience, as well as according to Lee's identification info, it will still make it a Sacks stock as H&R only used pin-punch ferrules.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Well in my experience, as well as according to Lee's identification info, it will still make it a Sacks stock as H&R only used pin-punch ferrules.
The ferrule crimp and proof marking so far can only be used to illiminate 1 single maker. There are lots of other minutiae that go into stock ID. Comb shape, handguard shelf shape, grip shape, back porch shape.......

If the OP could get a side view picture of the comb of the stock I could tell him immediately if it's a Sacks, they have a very distinctively shaped comb. My Sacks is a type 1 early version with the additional TG cut out, according to info provided by Iron Worker.

·
Very Old Salt
1,952 Posts
The ferrule crimp and proof marking so far can only be used to illiminate 1 single maker. There are lots of other minutiae that go into stock ID. Comb shape, handguard shelf shape, grip shape, back porch shape.......

If the OP could get a side view picture of the comb of the stock I could tell him immediately if it's a Sacks, they have a very distinctively shaped comb. My Sacks is a type 1 early version with the additional TG cut out, according to info provided by Iron Worker.
Yeah additional pics would definitely hope. Back to the OP, hopefully the person who gave you those pics can get better ones.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Winchester did the halfmoon crimp and the serified "P".
US Springfield Armory also used half moon ferul crimp and of course always used the (P) with serifs same as they used on M1 stocks. Many of the TM AND FM manuals show the Springfields with half moon crimps. The original T44 SA stocks have the half moon crimp as well.

That stock looks like it does have serifs on the (P) which would more than likely make it Winchester or SA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts