M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I frequently see people looking for hra, winchester, etc specifically for parts.

Is this because people want consistent manufacturers for builds for collector reasons like wanting consistency in a build, or scarcity leading to value?

Or do people feel that there are specific differences in quality across the different manufacturers?

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
So, I frequently see people looking for hra, winchester, etc specifically for parts.

Is this because people want consistent manufacturers for builds for collector reasons like wanting consistency in a build, or scarcity leading to value?

Or do people feel that there are specific differences in quality across the different manufacturers?
Yes.

·
Super Moderator
12,062 Posts
Hmm…Well, then.

RE quality, is there anything to suggest significant differences? Or mostly annecdotal?
Nope they all had too meet the same standards, however there are a few makers some guys think there is some magic in.

SAK comes too mind while there parts are not original too any rifle there parts are well known too be of high quality.

·
Registered
15,116 Posts
SAK is Saco-Lowell, aka Maremont, General Dynamics, etc. They are considered the best quality for replacement parts.

A rifle built with matching parts doesn't mean much if the parts are worn. You are better off with a mix master of new parts, as became of most M14's during their lifetime.

TRW made their oprods out of a single piece of steel. Only because they had the tooling to do so, not because there was any requirement for it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I think it's also a rarity thing. TRW made only 23% of the total number of M14 rifles for the government. Combine that with the level machining quality they had from jet engine production and you get the demand. They were sort of the Knights Armament of their day
Well said, very well said!

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN🇺🇸

·
Super Moderator
12,062 Posts
I think it's also a rarity thing. TRW made only 23% of the total number of M14 rifles for the government. Combine that with the level machining quality they had from jet engine production and you get the demand. They were sort of the Knights Armament of their day
SA only made 167000ish, that’s a lot less than TRW’s production.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
For me as I was building mine, except for JD and JohnC at Wolfe doing barrels/headspace I wasn't competent to do... I consider myself very fortunate to have found over near 3 years all OM and TRW parts much of them NOS or near it, mostly here in the PX from men I trust and have proven to be thoroughbreds - the Kith in Kith and Kin because I wanted to keep the soul of what's to me along with the Garand the finest MBR ever built. All purchases at more than fair prices. I maintain pictures of all of these acquired parts by name/s. When I'm dead these builds go to our boys and grand kids as stated in the will we did right down to the S/N's on the Fulton and LRB receivers. I believe our boys understand this sentiment as I've detailed the legacy which goes well beyond wood and steel. In a country that now celebrates poly-plastic weapons, worse the actual celebration of mental illness - tranny and gender "dysphoria", "pronouns", crt/slc, wanton mass slaughter of completely innocent unborn children) it means something well past what I can put into mere words... maybe just as important were on this planet is a more confidence inspiring sound than a M14 Oprod and Bolt taking a round to full battery. Carried by men in defense of this still most Noble Nation, no matter the circumstance - THEIR SACRIFICE FREELY BEQUEATHED to far too many loud ignorant cowards most thoroughly unworthy of their sacrifice. Yeah, all this and more.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Here here!
For me as I was building mine, except for JD and JohnC at Wolfe doing barrels/headspace I wasn't competent to do... I consider myself very fortunate to have found over near 3 years all OM and TRW parts much of them NOS or near it, mostly here in the PX from men I trust and have proven to be thoroughbreds - the Kith in Kith and Kin because I wanted to keep the soul of what's to me along with the Garand the finest MBR ever built. All purchases at more than fair prices. I maintain pictures of all of these acquired parts by name/s. When I'm dead these builds go to our boys and grand kids as stated in the will we did right down to the S/N's on the Fulton and LRB receivers. I believe our boys understand this sentiment as I've detailed the legacy which goes well beyond wood and steel. In a country that now celebrates poly-plastic weapons, worse the actual celebration of mental illness - tranny and gender "dysphoria", "pronouns", crt/slc, wanton mass slaughter of completely innocent unborn children) it means something well past what I can put into mere words... maybe just as important were on this planet is a more confidence inspiring sound than a M14 Oprod and Bolt taking a round to full battery. Carried by men in defense of this still most Noble Nation, no matter the circumstance - THEIR SACRIFICE FREELY BEQUEATHED to far too many loud ignorant cowards most thoroughly unworthy of their sacrifice. Yeah, all this and more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree.....well said....
]
SA only made 167000ish, that’s a lot less than TRW’s
production.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts