M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this a good deal? It has the op guide and a long string of numbers also it has a med. heavy contour just past the troat before the op guide. Its in exc. condition I was told its like new. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Usually an NM "take off" is a take off because it will no longer shoot to NM specs. It may shoot fine compared to a service grade barrel but may not, depends upon how much use it has gotten. Is it worth that price if it does not shoot like an NM barrel. That answer is an individual one.

Whatever the case I am sure it is a far better deal than the Numrich Arms barrel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is some good advice Mr Ricca, if it is a nm and off the gun you gotta wonder.....why? Why would you want it if the other person (who presumably knows more about it than we do) doesn't want it?

Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This guy is a pawn dealer that use to sell alot of cool guns(now he just gets it from time to time). I talked to him again today he said he had a bush SA barrel that he just sold. It was a take off and the guy went with a Krieger or something and the NM barrel was never used. I looked it over good and could not find any installation marks/mars the op rod guide show no wear ethier. I guess the guy that shoot the M1As died and his wife sold all the stuff to this dealer.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Will he let you take it to a gunsmith for evaluation, or do you know anyone with a TE guage? For the muzzle, you could always make a visual inspection (i.e. for dings, dents, chips and gouges) and do the "bullet test" (i.e. see if it swallows a .308 round or if its a tight fit) if you don't have an ME guage.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Some will, some won't. It all depends upon your definition of not too many rounds. The bores on the NM barrels are .0005 tighter than standard barrels so they tend to wear quicker. On the M14 the standard barrel is chromed lined, meaning the bore life will be greater.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.