M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we have not had a grease thread in 48 hours...Anyone use this stuff? Looking for something less runny for the mild summers.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
sure do. that's a nice score!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bet current synthetic made grease bets the heck out of 50 year old grease. That said sweeeet find.

ETA: holycow 5lbs of grease is gonna take 9000 lifetimes to use.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 5 pound can of GAA (Grease,Auto and Artillery)
From the 70's...Its still good...I use it..

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was using superlube on rifles…it's a great grease. However I did notice a couple things:

1) After pulling a rifle out of a bed job, the grease tended to migrate a bit…some of this was attributed to excess applied, but in some places where a thin coat was applied, it seemed to move as well.

2) The grease on the ferrule would disappear quickly, almost at the rate of being applied before a modest range session, then a few strings later…gone.

3) After a weekend shooting all day in the sun here in Texas, I noticed that the superlube got very oily…almost like melting.

In contrast, I have had GI lube applied to another rifle. It stays put. Does not seem as temperature fickle. The superlube did it's job, and the above issues were not noted in the winter.

I needed more grease, and found this at about the price as a couple tubes of superlube.

Now I just need 10,000 more rifles to apply it to.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I have been a superlube man as well. Tell you what, put that stuff in a little plastic bottle and start selling it. I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been a superlube man as well. Tell you what, put that stuff in a little plastic bottle and start selling it. I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!
There are tons of little pots for sale on ebay and such. Seems like a hard and messy way for me to make a buck.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Anyway, in 1981 we used GAA on our competition M14s on the Post Team, the First Army Area Team and then the All Army Team. In reality, any good grease will do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts