M14 Forum banner

Getting Started

958 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Mack 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just found this forum a couple days back and while reading your posts & replies, you have helped me understand the M1A. I’m new to the M1A but familiar with the M1 Garand, AR’s, AK’s and Bolt Rifles.

About a year ago, during some horse-trading, I acquired a SA Super Match (9102) from a guy that bought 4 new back in 1999. It’s a long story but basically the Y2K thing hit him pretty hard. Along with the rifle I received a parts package (springs, firing pin, hammer, trigger, tools for disassemble, 1st gen. 4-14 x 56 Scope, 3rd gen. scope mount, adjustable nylon check pad, harris bipod, leather sling, ex.) that he also purchased from SA for each rifle. The rifle I acquired is new in the box. He also said it had been cryogenically heat-treated (don’t know if this does any good).

The majority of my shooting time this last year has been with pistols and it’s about time to set this rifle up. This Rifle will be used primarily for fun out to around 600 or so yards. I would like to here your thoughts, especially:
1. Rifle / Barrel break in, what do you suggest?
2. Is the 1st gen. 4-14 x 56 reliable? It seams to have good, clear optics.
3. Should I use the 3rd gen. scope mount or just go with ARMS.
4. SA scope rings any good?
5. Cleaning products?

Best regards,
Mack

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Joplin, and you?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Well Hi Neighbor,

Coffee sounds great. No, my last name isn’t Mack but it has been a nickname for most of my life.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Sorry Guys, I wasn’t logged in for the post above.

Mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.