M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just found this forum a couple days back and while reading your posts & replies, you have helped me understand the M1A. I’m new to the M1A but familiar with the M1 Garand, AR’s, AK’s and Bolt Rifles.

About a year ago, during some horse-trading, I acquired a SA Super Match (9102) from a guy that bought 4 new back in 1999. It’s a long story but basically the Y2K thing hit him pretty hard. Along with the rifle I received a parts package (springs, firing pin, hammer, trigger, tools for disassemble, 1st gen. 4-14 x 56 Scope, 3rd gen. scope mount, adjustable nylon check pad, harris bipod, leather sling, ex.) that he also purchased from SA for each rifle. The rifle I acquired is new in the box. He also said it had been cryogenically heat-treated (don’t know if this does any good).

The majority of my shooting time this last year has been with pistols and it’s about time to set this rifle up. This Rifle will be used primarily for fun out to around 600 or so yards. I would like to here your thoughts, especially:
1. Rifle / Barrel break in, what do you suggest?
2. Is the 1st gen. 4-14 x 56 reliable? It seams to have good, clear optics.
3. Should I use the 3rd gen. scope mount or just go with ARMS.
4. SA scope rings any good?
5. Cleaning products?

Best regards,
Mack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joplin, and you?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
13 miles south ...

Seneca ...

Is your username by chance your last name?

Sorry for all the questions as this is somewhat of a coincidence as my last name is Mack .....

Hiya Neighbor ...

Maybe we can get together some day for a cup of coffee ....

Six

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
As for question #3 I would definately go with the ARMS if you can afford it as they have the generation mounts beat hands down ...

As for barrel break in I know of a lot of folks that never took the time to break theirs in and although they have never had any real problems with theirs I would break it in properly if it were mine. Its a bit of a pain with a lot of cleaning in between rounds but well worth it if you want to "do it right" ... :wink:

Cryo is actually a process where they "deep freeze" your weapon several times bringing the temps up and down and this is suppose to improve accuracy a bit more but the way I understand it it is not definately a necesssity to have this done to an M1A and eventually wears off to where you would have to have the process repeated ....

I would not be too concerned with this though unless you are planning on match shoots all the time as the M1A straight out of the box will shoot fairly accurate as it is ...

Hope this helps ...

Glad to have you on board ...

Six

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Hi Neighbor,

Coffee sounds great. No, my last name isn’t Mack but it has been a nickname for most of my life.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha Mack:

Welcome Aboard!!! Sounds like you got yourself a bunch of accessories with the SM! What an excellent buy... almost everything you would buy anyway... cool!

I do a break in procedure when shooting a new rifle. It is shoot 1 and clean for 10 rds, shoot 2 then clean for 10 rds, clean thoroughly after each 10 rd set. If necessary, you can progress from there. I also use JB Bore Cleaner to help get any copper and junk out of the barrel in between sets. If you use JB's, be careful, it is an abrasive!

The SA scope should be good for what you want to do... I have the 6-24x56mm and I really like it! I agree that they seem to have bright and clear optics... I would definitely use this scope, and you already have it, so how better could that get?

Which mount? That is tricky. Since you already have the SA mount, you might want to give it a try... some have had success with it. I like the ARMS mount (old version) which gives the receiver a nice clean look, still capable of mounting a scope... An alternative is to sell the SA mount NIW and use the money received towards an ARMS setup. I use ARMS rings but most HD rings will work. I have 2 NIW sets of the SA rings, and I really don't care for them too much. But all of this is personal preference... I think.

As for cleaning products, probably the same you use for the pistols will work for your rifle as well. You will need to have a Muzzle Guide so the rod does not damage the muzzle of your barrel... that is the only draw back, is that they need to be cleaned from the front unless you use one of them corded type pull brushes... I think OTIS is supposed to be an excellent product in that area.

A couple of things to keep in mind is that a SM is a bedded rifle. You do not want to remove the receiver from the stock in as much as possible. All basic maintenance can be done without removing the receiver anyway. GREASE your rifle as prescribed and take the time to do a good job and it will perform flawlessly.

The gas cylinder should be cleaned between 300-500 rds. For that you would need some special tools, gas cylinder wrench, gas cylinder cleanout tools, etc.

Sounds more than what it is. All done very simply.

Something that I like to recommend is to consider getting the Scott Duff book. If you do any mods on your rifle, then the Kuhnhausen book is better because it has more detailed diagrams with the part specs...

Enjoy your rifle!!! It should serve you well. Have fun!!!

Aloha, Best Wishes and Welcome Aboard.

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Thank for the input Tom, i'll be looking for the books.

SixTGunr, it was my pleasure speaking with you on the phone Friday, small word isn’t it.

Mack

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Guys, I wasn’t logged in for the post above.

Mack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts