M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about getting out of the XD game. I currently have 2 sub-compact, a standard size all in 9mm and a 5" tactical in 45. Tired of aftermarket support not being there.
Problem is I am torn between going full glocktard, or sighead. Realizing it would take time to get back to my current stock with either or the brands. Glock would be a bunch of different pistols to fill all the current guns that I carry. SIg would be 3 guns with the 320s ability to swap frames and slides.
Just testing the waters to see what opinions are out there. I may be just wanting to buy more guns and finally realizing I need to thin the herd a little.
Yes I know there are plenty of other options H&K(don't want to relearn mag release), CZ, Ruger, S&W. I just see more stuff for the glocks and SIG than anything else.
Any and all opinions/information is appreciated and encouraged.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Glock will be the clear winner if aftermarket options are a concern.

Just the different grip angle of the Glock is enough to mess with you if you have a lot of trigger-time with conventional 1911 grip-angle pistols.

I've fired a few different XDs, and they are nice. I don't care for the "paddle" style mag release on the H&Ks either.

My son has a SIG P320 9mm, and it's fine, but not my favorite.

I've settled on a M&P45 2.0 Compact as my carry gun, but it's not small. Everything about it, especially the aggressive grip texture, feels right to me. The weak link of stock M&Ps is the trigger - it ain't that great. The XD's trigger is much better. I tend to ignore it and just keep the trigger moving until it goes "bang", but other find it distracting. There are options that greatly improve the M&P's trigger, namely an Apex trigger system, but I choose to leave it stock and deal with it on my carry gun.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My next carry gun will be a Glock 43X. A little bit bigger than my shield 40 cal but I like the fit better for myself. And with a long range session the 40 isn't pleasant after a while in that shield. YMMV

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I only have one issue with XD's and XDm's - the trigger safety bar/paddle [insert] always bites into my trigger finger when shooting multiple rounds during a session.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I know plenty love Glocks, virtually indestructible, but having cut my teeth with 1911's, I like some form of safety. I have friends with Sigs, and they love them, and the same for Glocks.

Safety is my issue though.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hi,
Never warmed up to the XD line, though I'm sure it is a nice pistol.

If you want to stay plastic and have better ergos...

Get a S&W MP, and put a APEX aluminum trigger on it, with a Apex sear along with a "fluff and buff" trigger job...

All things you can do yourself, also 10-8 has better sights for it.

Did all that to my 45 Auto MP and sold my Glocks!

Attachments

Reactions: jkv45

·
Registered
663 Posts
was not a XD fan first one I had when they first came out in 40 S&W keep breaking extractors. Time passed and tried a XDM in 45acp have ran 1000+ rounds with out a problem. So wile I was at Perry had to try the compact 9mm xdm for 249.00 I would take a chance love it.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I have three XDM's ( 2-9mm & 1 45acp & a XD in 45acp & they all shoot great & have had no issues with them . Never thought about what after market upgrades are or are not available for them , don't need any .

I carry a Sig P320C though, IWB & have been since I purchased it , had the upgrade & the Trigger was a little better when it came back. Love the night sights , but want both Fiber Optics & Night sights , so will be changing that soon . I would like to have them on all my Pistols , but too much $$, so Ill stick to the carry guns. I installed them on my 9mm S&W Shield & love them , but went to carry the Sig soon after .

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Lack of aftermarket support? For what parts? What efforts to improve it?

I bought an XD .45 5" Tactical a few months ago. Put a PRP trigger kit in it (well, most of the kit - not all the parts fit as my XD is the model with thumb safeties and some of the PRP parts didn't fit/work in it). Dropped the trigger pull down from 6.5 lbs. to a nice crisp 4/4.5 lbs. Crisp trigger function makes the pull feel lighter.

Anyway, I've become a CZ guy. Bought mostly CZ's the last few years. Bought the XD. Not as accurate as my good CZ's, but better than my M&Ps and the Glock and the XDM 5.25" 9MM.

I like the CZ pistols (metal framed or plastic) because I can buy models to carry cocked and locked, like a 1911. If you like the decockers then they make those, too.

Just bought an M&P 2.0 (yeah, 5" FDE in 9MM). Trigger and accuracy was pretty poor. I thought the 2.0's were supposed to be more accurate than the 1.0's. Mine was not.

However, two mods to the 2.0. First was an APEX trigger kit. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. That trigger is both different and better than some of my DA/SA trigger pistols. Really worth it for the M&P.

But and I do mean BUT! As nice as that trigger installation made it feel it did not shrink the groups. What did shrink the groups a lot was the Apex barrel. That made the M&P much more enjoyable to shoot (hey, if it won't shoot decent groups it goes in the safe, life is too short to carry/shoot a gun with an ugly trigger that shoots buckshot like groups).

So, after spending almost as much on the new M&P as it cost in the first place, it'll shoot groups with the XD .45 acp and some of the more average CZs I own. No more M&Ps for me. I love feel and the look of the M&P, just not the function/accuracy of them.

Good luck with whatever pistol you buy.

·
Registered
820 Posts
(SNIP)
So, after spending almost as much on the new M&P as it cost in the first place, it'll shoot groups with the XD .45 acp and some of the more average CZs I own. No more M&Ps for me. I love feel and the look of the M&P, just not the function/accuracy of them.

Good luck with whatever pistol you buy.
Interesting.

I was impressed with the accuracy of my M&P45 2.0 Compact at almost 50 yards. Put everything right where it should be.

Initially I didn't plan to buy a M&P 2.0, but after handling and firing most everything else it was the clear winner for me.

The Walter PPQ M2 (conventional button mag release) 9mm is also a gun that has a nice feel to it, though the .45 PPQ doesn't feel the same. The PPQ would be my choice if I liked 9mm.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
jkv45, maybe it's the cartridge??? My M&P's are 9's and .357 SIG/.40 S&W. My XD/XDMs are .45 and 9MM.

I think my .45 XD shoots better than my 9MM XDMs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might find a range that rents hand guns. Try a few and see which ones call to you. The best test I know is to bring the gun up with your eyes closed and see if you have to adjust your hold when you open them. Another consideration: Glock's pricing looks good up front. But You'll have to invest a lot more to get them to run with a stock Sig or CZ. Confidence is the better part of marksmanship. There are some outstanding tools out there. I've shot many. I can make most of them work. A few are no work at all. I have three from three different platforms that I don't even have to think about. They hit what I poke 'em at and are a joy to shoot. And I wouldn't hesitate to take any one of them to a fight. Aftermarket goodies should enhance what works, not substitute what doesn't.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Know this thread is a little old but the grip on the Glock 21’s in 45 are uncomfortable, the XD fits like a glove and is great for being a doublestack 45.

In 9mm? Glock 19 all day, twice on Sunday!

I want to hate Glock. 1911/m1/m1a kind of guy.

Picked up a G19 and shoot it better than any pistol I’ve owned or shot.

Like it so much it protects my family out in public and got a 2nd and have an RMR on the top. Hitting steel at 150 yards is boring.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
I have a couple of XDs in 45. One has the thumb safety and the other does not. Must have fired all of 50 rnds with the one without the safety and 0 through the other. Never even taken out of the box after a few years hanging around.
I carry a Glock 43 daily as a pocket pistol and a 1911 when I am serious.
Just depends on what one feels comfortable with.

Reactions: TJ1
1 - 16 of 16 Posts