M14 Forum banner

Getting a hankerin' for a k98 again...

2130 Views 16 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  mercman
When I was 19 i had about 3 or 4 mausers, one being a beautiful yugo captured german K98. I remember going to the pawn/gunshop and buying 5 or 6 bandoliers of turkish 7.92x57 ammo and getting lost up in the moutains for a weekend, hiking and splitting rocks across canyons. I miss those times. I also miss having a mauser.

Anyone have any good sources for affordable K98s? I dont like M48s. I want a german or yugo/russian capture. I should probably look and see if 7.92 is still affordable...

michells mausers wants too much for them. cabelas only carried straight bolt M48s.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,643 Posts
When I was 19 i had about 3 or 4 mausers, one being a beautiful yugo captured german K98. I remember going to the pawn/gunshop and buying 5 or 6 bandoliers of turkish 7.92x57 ammo and getting lost up in the moutains for a weekend, hiking and splitting rocks across canyons. I miss those times. I also miss having a mauser.

Anyone have any good sources for affordable K98s? I dont like M48s. I want a german or yugo/russian capture. I should probably look and see if 7.92 is still affordable...

michells mausers wants too much for them. cabelas only carried straight bolt M48s.
Just a K98, or Czech, Spanish, or SA?

I have not seen any German Mausers for a few years now. I got lucky and grabbed a 1938 Russkie capture but since then only Swedes and a Spanish 93 crossed my path.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Barring someone getting lucky and finding a forgotten warehouse or armory, the days of inexpesive surplus warrifles are overm even Mitchell's Mausers are running out and their prices are increasing.

· Registered
508 Posts
The days of any Mauser, save the Yugo 48 (which is still not cheap) are over. A few years ago I could still buy Swede 96 Mausers for $90, the last one I saw was about $290. If you are looking for a true Mauser, full banner marked receiver...God help you. That said you will pay less for and have a superior rifle in the Mauser, over a Remington, Winchester, '03 Springfield.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
I committed heresy on my 98 that I was able to pick up for 100 bucks and had a lyman 57 smet receiver sight put on her and a timney trigger. Really nice rifle and I am shooting 170 gr hornady round nose out of it and it shoots really nicely. I did not like the rear leaf sight on mine so I made the change. 200 yards I can get some 6-8 inch groups which is fine by me. The trigger is smooth as butta. Had I paid going rate I would not have altered it but for a 100? who cares. the action is smoooooth on these bad boys. You think about a swede mauser? I like them too.

· Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the infomation guys.

Boomstick, i used to own 4 or 5 M96 and M96b swedish mausers. it was my first mauser and they were all tack drivers. one of them was an actual sniper variant. That rifle, when I was 19 or so, began my love affair with long range shooting.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
With 196gr. Sellier&Belliot FMJ (no longer sold) I got 1 inch groups, 2.5 inches high at 100 yards outta my Yugo 44. the 2.5 was to be expected as mausers front sights are generally height adjusted to a zero of 300 meters.

I usually shoot 185Gr. bullets remington sells for reloading their 8mm magnum that i handload myself.

I just can't figure out why with the hundreds of thousands of 8mm's that have come to this country over the years why it isn't more commonly found ammo off the shelf.

· Registered
608 Posts
I get better groupings with the surplus 50's yugo then the 80's rommy ammo.

but then again the rommy is 150gr ball ammo over the 196 yugo.

· Registered
608 Posts
i have a yugo M-48 and she does good, but im not sure if it is me or the gun, but she can't shoot for shiv.

· Registered
4,104 Posts
A few years ago I picked up 1943 K98, an Arisaka (turned out to be a training rifle) and a sporterized K98 for a $100 (maybe it was a few bucks more, but not much more). I peddled the sporterized K98 and cleaned up the other two. The K98 is matching except for the bolt.

Depending on the ammo I can get a 2" group at 100 yds with the K98. I haven't tried shooting it any farther. The Arisaka is a wall hanger.................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.