M14 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new hobbie, fooling with Mausers. They have some advantages, fairly cheap, easier to get , and has a lot of history behind them. I like the 1936-1945 German stuff. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
The German Mausers are a lot of fun. I have a couple of Russian Captured K98k's and a couple of Yugo Captured K98k's. I need to shoot it one of these days. Great engineering.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I have a couple of Yugos and a Spanish FR8 in .308 ...

Whats nice about the 8mm is that its plentiful and cheap enough ...

I like the Romanian over the Turkish though ...

The Turk is corrosive whereas the Romanian is non ... :wink:

Six

·
Registered
615 Posts
Mausers are fun to play with. I got into the Turk mausers - can't seem to get away from them (not trying real hard either). Have had Czech mausers, Yugo mausers and a few in between but have decided I pretty much like the Turks the best.

Though I am trading a Yugo mauser for a sporterized german mauser - sporterized I don't tend to feel so bad about doing things to as I do stock ones.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
And if you have an 03 Springfield you have a modified 98 Mauser.

I'm like Six, I've a Spanish FR7 in 308 which was parachutist issue.

HuntingHawk

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I have two Mausers A Long one (Turkish) an a 48 Yugo. The Yugo was in cosmoline. Ammo is cheap and Corrosive so clean the bore with 1/3 amonia and 2/3 water after use. If you don't the bore will rust like crazy. These things pack a big punch. If you want to hide from one you better make it thick. I have shot through flywheels with steel stuff....
....................Sp4 Twiggy

·
Registered
66 Posts
My russian capture 98s dont get out much but my yugo 48s get shot when I need a break from the modern stuff. They are fun to shoot and pack a big punch.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got into Mausers a while back too. I've had experience with a M48 Yugo, a VZ-24, and a German JP Saur K98k. The M48 was a cleanup- I never did shoot it. The VZ-24 was rough so I had to change out some parts and refinish- I shot it, it was okay but the POI was way high. The K98k shot the better of the two and didn't need refinishing. The K98k is also the easiest to strip and reassemble.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, I see it's a 1941 byf (Mauser made by Mauser- I'm thinking Oberndorf), but the 7-digit across the barrel has me stumped so far.

·
Registered
846 Posts
you got it mustanger. byf is mauserworks obendorf.

i haven't seen those numbers acress the barrel before. maybe a rack number or something.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like some kind of unit markings, not very common on nazi guns but wwI G98s are marked this way alot as were early lugers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually picked up my first Yugo M48 this weekend. I'm still in the process of cleaning it up. All the metal parts are degreased, cleaned, and oiled. I'm now working on the stock. Stripped it down and sanded it. Polyurathane is on the inside drying as I type and tomorrow I'm going to start rubbing in some of Culver's Magic Formula (1/3 BLO, 1/3 Beeswax, 1/3 Turpentine cooked up and cooled into a paste) on it. I'll see about posting some pics when I get it done.

The receiver seems absolutely solid, and down the road I may think about rebarreling it to .257 Roberts, .308, or 30-06 and turn it into a sporter.

·
Registered
485 Posts
SO2315, I just thought of something. Have you noticed the stock markings to know whether they're pre-1938 (Weimar eagles) or post-'38 (dirtybird swastika)? Reason I asked is my '43 JP Saur is in a pre-'38 stock with a flat buttplate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Those are lot numbers put there by the barrel manufacturer...actually nothing uncommon. There are a lot of variety in them on German K98's...some factories made their own barrels, but most also used contracted barrels by other steel makers. The '40' indicates the barrel was made in 1940 whgich is correct for a 41 dated rifle...

SO2315 said:

·
Administrator
18,445 Posts
DJ,

I have a German Mauser from 1940. Good shooter, I only use old German Army surplus ammo from 1939. The rest of the time I use Turk 8mm ammo. Some info on my Mauser...

Small hand guard stamped 979.
Laminated stock stamped 386 under barrel section.
Butt plate stamped 386/Pwc.

Receiver ring stamped 42 over 1940, there is a "X" on the left of the receiver ring, which is a Soviet crossed rifles capture marking. left side 8545 over ff, then on the right side there are 3 sets of the eagle over 655 Waffenamts inspection markings. The "655" on the ejector box identifies it as having been inspected at Mauser Oberndorf between 1939 and 1941.

Barrel stamped left side 8545 over ff, under the barrel is stamped 39N439, then 3 sets of the eagle over 955 Waffenamts inspection markings again.

XXIV Corps :mrgreen:
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
36 Posts
XXIV Corps

You forgot to mention there aren't any import markings on your K98.

26th LGS 8)

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
:D I have a K-98 with bnz 44 on the Receiver Ring I was made to believe this Rifle was made by Styer, is that so? :-k

·
Administrator
18,445 Posts
Trung Si,

Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr, Austria, 1944 Boom, Done, next.

XXIV Corps :x_mrgreen:
DMZ 70-72

1 - 19 of 19 Posts