M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have a 26 yr old former USMC friend of mine who desperately wants a full size M1A. Now here is the kicker he has about $1400.00 and he has been asking me for advice on the subject as I have a scout and a rather large gun collection. So where could he either buy a kit and have me help him build it in which case what tools, equipment, would I need? Where can I find a book or video about building one at? Or should I just point him at a springfield and let him go? Now just so you all know I have never built one and don't know how to do it. Nut as a former CPL. USMC I'm dang willing to give it my best shot.
So can you all help me put here what should I do? Oh and I forgot to mention he is now a full time college student and was just laid off and is trying to find a new job as we speak.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
He'd be better served searching the PX here for a deal on a standard M1A. Then he can shoot and upgrade as funds are available.

Building one... At the least have a qualified M14 armored barrel and headspace the bolt. The rest you can do going to Art, Gus and Ted's areas and reading about how to build/tune these rifles. The other side is that $1400 is going to be gone in seconds and not even have a complete rifle for it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about the SAI reciever and accuracy problems? I have seen some pics on here showing catastrophic failures? I also just talked to him and he told me he found a fulll size SAI for $1350.00 used. So I going to drive 2 hours to take a look at it for him. Now what exactly should I look for specifically? I will be as through as possible I am taking a borelight, a cleaning rod, a trigger pull Gage , and a screwdriver set as well as a small punch. Did I miss anything ? The more advice the better my friend and I are both OIF/OEF vets so I no gun slouch believe me but I also don't want to be wrong.
Thank you gentlemen. Any advice or knowledge is extremely welcome and asked for.MC1

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
SAI there is Absolutely Nothing Wrong with them, they are Good To Go Period
Accuracy wise I am not convinced receivers play a major role there
Some people have more $ than others and prefer to go another route

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
SAI there is Absolutely Nothing Wrong with them, they are Good To Go Period
Accuracy wise I am not convinced receivers play a major role there
Some people have more $ than others and prefer to go another route
+1 on this.
I own and shoot a full size Springfield and enjoy it more each time. If your friend wants to get a rifle to the range, it is the way to go. Let us know how it works out.

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
+2 on this. I looked and looked and found a Springfield Bush model in great shape (except for what the previous owner screwed up, easily repaired) for $1,300. Rifle shoots great. I think some people trade firearms when they screw one up and think it's the firearms fault.

·
Registered
87 Posts
seeking help

You might want to check the m-14 stickies on this forum, there is a whole lot of useful information there. Good luck and happy shooting.
hogbody74

·
Registered
922 Posts
Reference & helpful sources

Joe Poyer has a great book "The M14 Type Rifle" 800 745-9714
Scott Duff has a book that is helpful.
I brought both these books to help me taking the rifle apart and also in identifying parts by manufacture.
I personally look for a Springfield with a serial number under a
100,000 there will be a good chance of having USGI parts in it. Maybe not all the same manufacture,but a good start. There is nothing let the pride of ownership. Good hunting

·
Registered
2,715 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own and shoot a Springfield Armory M 1 A it has match bbl and front sight,good trigger.It has been flawless ,I have approx. 150 rds thru it.It is shooting moa with the scope on it.I am a fng but this is all I wanted,and that is my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
For $1350 I'd say go for it. SA Inc.'s lifetime warranty is with the rifle no matter who owns it. Some of the accurizing work can be done yourself and isn't expensive, plus it makes the rifle "his".

The only parts I'd really recommend replacing with USGI (if they aren't already) is the hammer, trigger/sear, extractor with spring and plunger, ejector with spring and the safety. If not replace, have on hand. The rest of the parts should be good to go for a long time to come.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Tools alone would cost you quite a bit.
With a limit of $1,400 I would try to look for a used SAI with low round mileage. If you can look for a gun with serial # under 100,000. 82nd is right, you could burn that $1,400 on tools alone. Not quite worth it for building one gun. The SAI warranty covers the gun, no matter how many people pre-owned it. dozier

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
With a limit of $1,400 I would try to look for a used SAI with low round mileage. If you can look for a gun with serial # under 100,000. 82nd is right, you could burn that $1,400 on tools alone. Not quite worth it for building one gun. The SAI warranty covers the gun, no matter how many people pre-owned it. dozier
Highly recommend this approach. Although my deal was on an M1A Standard born in January 2005. Money order to be sent out tonite for this safe queen with less than 300 rounds on her. Looks like new and on your budget, I'd still have money left for an ARMS 18 mount, ARMS 22 lo rings and a good pile of ammo.

The deals are out there. Great huntin!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gentlemen,

I took the drive down to deep dark South TX about 20 miles from the border. Well this is my report. I have taken a look at the used full sized they had to offer and I have seen what STUPIDITY do to a great M1A ! This rifle was in a sorry state! The chamber was cracked! The bolt looked like it had never seen oil, bolt face was black and gold! The rifling still looked good just looked like it hadn't seen a bore punch! But the kicker came when I saw that the rifle stock forend was crimped in as though it had the he'll shot out of it! Then I looked at the price tag and saw they wanted including tax (drum roll please) $1849.00!!! I very calmly handed the weapon back and aftr leaving told him to not buy that weapon. To be exact I told him not only NO but HELL NO would I let him buy it!! So now I will help him find one. I know you guys are going to say PX but the wife told me Hell no! So I'm S.O.L.! Gentlemen I would also like to say Thank you for everything and I'm still combing the stickies like a drunk in a liqour store.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If you want to build one you may spend a little more than $1,400.

I am building my first M14 and I would finish at around $1,700. The good thing about building your own is that you buy the pieces when you need or want it, it's not one big expense all at once.

Here is what I have on order so far:

7.62mm Firearms group buy (forge barrel & loaded forge bolt and USGI barrel), assembled & head space for $999 +$15 for shipping. (no need for barrel vise, wrench or gauges)

LRB Arms parts kit $479.65 shipped.

7.62mm Firearms extractor, ejector & pin, extractor spring $44.95 shipped.

CMI Mags X 2 $52.

All I need to buy for tools is the Castle nut pliers around $12 + shipping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts