M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new to me Springfield Armory pre-ban M1A in the serial # 059000 range that has a USGI SAK chrome lined barrel has Geneseo,ILL stamped on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the gas plug. My later manufactured M1A's are stamped Geneseo, ILL on the right side of the chamber under the op-rod just behind the USGI markings. Is that where Springfield stamped Geneseo, ILL on older pre-ban rifles?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Mine was built in '79 and it is stamped NM on the top of the barrel and Geneseo, Ill under the barrel. I "think" they are a commercial barrel put on by Springfield.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 59,000 has the Geneseo marking in the same spot (near the gas cyl. plug).

It's also marked TRW under the handguard. GI5

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
First of all, Barrel markings have Nothing to do with Pre or Post Ban, (the Ban did not affect Barrels) All GI Barrels were marked in the same Place, on the Right Hand Side, under the Hand Guard,the NM Letters on the Top near the GC (half of those are faked anyway) Commercial Barrels can be marked anywhere they choose to mark them (if they are marked at all) but most of them, like Krieger are marked at the same Place as the GI with the Name and the Twist!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
First of all, Barrel markings have Nothing to do with Pre or Post Ban, (the Ban did not affect Barrels) All GI Barrels were marked in the same Place, on the Right Hand Side, under the Hand Guard,the NM Letters on the Top near the GC (half of those are faked anyway) Commercial Barrels can be marked anywhere they choose to mark them (if they are marked at all) but most of them, like Krieger are marked at the same Place as the GI with the Name and the Twist!

I have a Winchester barrel on my Armscorp that is marked on the top, near the gas lock.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have a Winchester barrel on my Armscorp that is marked on the top, near the gas lock.
That's a new one on me! Got a Picture?GI3

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
That's a new one on me! Got a Picture?GI3
I'll pull it out and see. It is in a JAE stock and I'm not sure I can get the handguard off without a full dis-assembly.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not all USGI barrels are marked with Geneseo ,ILL. Only USGI or non USGI barrels that were installed by Springfield Armory Inc. on their production rifles that were produced in Geneseo, ILL were marked with Geneseo,ILL. It appears that the place Geneseo, ILL was stamped on the barrel by Springfield Armory Inc. changed over the years.
I have a 090000 serial # range(manufactured 1995) Springfield Armory Inc . rifle that has a Winchester USGI chrome lined barrel that is stamped Winchester etc. on the top of the barrel . You have to remove the handguard to see it. It is stamped Geneseo,ILL on the right side of the chamber, that you can see after removing the op-rod. I have seen USGI Winchester barrels that were marked Winchester etc on the right side of the barrel in front of the chamber. So it appears that Winchester stamped their barrels in both places.
I also have a pre-ban 066000 serial # range that was sold as a receiver only that has a TRW barrels that is not stamped with Geneseo, ILL because the barrel was not installed by Springfield Armory Inc.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
I'm beginning to think that Uncle Sammy got to hiring just about anyone in the factories around 63' 64' era, what with all the real men being gone in the wilds of Asia.

I also think that the workers in these factories didn't pay too much attention to the orientation of the barrels when they were being stamped, or rolled, or whatever it is they do to them to mark.

I have barrels by Winchester that are marked top ,left, right, and HR's that are marked on the bottom, and right. Also SA's that are marked top, and right side. These are all dated 62,63,64 and are a numbered cross section of the norm I believe. The only true mainstay I see in all barrel makers is the TRW's are all marked at the same location, regardless of year of manufacture,..... so far. The exception to this proved to be Doc's collection, and primarily the armscorp, fed ords. They all have TRW barrels and some are marked top, and the majority on the right where they should be.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
My 10,0XX M1A has a NM (stamped on top) NM.

On the bottom of the barrel it has the Genesio, IL stamp and it has a 6 land/groove barrel.

Hope this helps with how long they've been putting barrels so marked on SAI M1A's.

Oh, yeah, I believe it's 1 turn in 11 inches as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts