M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first M1A (Scout from SAI), and have a few questions

Lube or grease, and if grease, recommendation?

Loading a full mag on a closed bolt seems to be impossible. Is this normal? I'm used to an AR Mag requiring a tap to seat on a closed bolt and going in effortlessly on an open bolt. My mag seats into the M1A well easily (well, easily considering the whole rocking it in thing, that'll need some practice), but will not seat a full mag with the bolt forward.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

·
Registered
452 Posts
The stock 10 round mag that came with my new SAI Loaded last year was WAY to wide and had to be placed on a belt sander and worked on just to even insert !

The 3 NOS mil spec 20 round mag's that came in gooey cosmoline and wax paper wrap, each one inserted perfectly right off the bat.

I don't know if this is helpful with Your bolt - mag insert question ?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock 10 round mag that came with my new SAI Loaded last year was WAY to wide and had to be placed on a belt sander and worked on just to even insert !

The 3 NOS mil spec 20 round mag's that came in gooey cosmoline and wax paper wrap, each one inserted perfectly right off the bat.

I don't know if this is helpful with Your bolt - mag insert question ?

Cheers.
It's not really too wide, it's just that there's not enough give in the mag spring to load the full mag into the rifle when the bolt is forward, because the 10th (top) round is up against the bottom of the bolt. When I load the full mag into the open bolt, the rifle cleanly strips the top round from the mag without issue.

·
Registered
304 Posts
M14, like the M1 Garand, needs GREASE for lubrication. DO NOT use oil. Too thin and will come off quickly.

Tetra Lube is great to use. I use Field Artillery grease I got in my unit's motor pool many moons ago. Filled an AOAP bottle (if you are military, and been around maintenance, you know what I am talking about) and that is what I use.

Lubrite is what was issued in WW2 through the 1960s for the M14 and M1 Garand and other weapons. That little grease container you find with surplus M14 and M1 Garand cleaning kits is filled with Lubrite.

For cold/desert climates, use Remington Dry-lube. Any Class-III Package type of item used in the desert + sand/dust = Jam. I speak from my experiences in Iraq (2003, 2011). Use Lubricant, Arctic Weapons (aka LAW) if in a cold climate (this from my Alaska experiences, 1995-1997) or Remington Dry-lube. Cold plus Class-III Package items = gel = jam.

Ditch the 10 rd mag and go with GI mags, or Taiwan Type 57 mags (made on US tooling shipped to ROC in the 1960s from H&R). Of course, if you live in a People's Republik State......you have another option: MOVE.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M14, like the M1 Garand, needs GREASE for lubrication. DO NOT use oil. Too thin and will come off quickly.

Tetra Lube is great to use. I use Field Artillery grease I got in my unit's motor pool many moons ago. Filled an AOAP bottle (if you are military, and been around maintenance, you know what I am talking about) and that is what I use.

Lubrite is what was issued in WW2 through the 1960s for the M14 and M1 Garand and other weapons. That little grease container you find with surplus M14 and M1 Garand cleaning kits is filled with Lubrite.

For cold/desert climates, use Remington Dry-lube. Any Class-III Package type of item used in the desert + sand/dust = Jam. I speak from my experiences in Iraq (2003, 2011). Use Lubricant, Arctic Weapons (aka LAW) if in a cold climate (this from my Alaska experiences, 1995-1997) or Remington Dry-lube. Cold plus Class-III Package items = gel = jam.

Ditch the 10 rd mag and go with GI mags, or Taiwan Type 57 mags (made on US tooling shipped to ROC in the 1960s from H&R). Of course, if you live in a People's Republik State......you have another option: MOVE.
Thanks for the info on greasing! Rhode Island is a "semi" free state when it comes to gun laws. There's nothing that pertains to owning non-NFA firearms on the books. Carrying them is a whole other story. I'll be replacing the 10 rounder with a 20 at my first opportunity, but at the moment it's just the mag that came with my rifle, and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't seat. If it's a problem unique to the SAI 10 rounder, I won't give it any more thought.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The issue with you mag is either, spring has to many coils, or, the follower has a leg that sticks down through the spring and it is bottoming out on the floor plate.
My guess is your spring has to many coils and you are experiencing coil stack.

Take your floor plate off, remove the spring, put the mag back together, load up ten rounds without the spring and see if the top round is now far enough down to load into your rifle.

The 10 round magazines can be made from cut down parts, it is possible they cut the body just short of the required length, the spring was cut down but is still to long, or the follower leg is to long.

If the follower leg is to long you can grind down the leg about 1/16th of inch to 1/8th of an inch and get it to work.

You need to discover what part of the mag is causing the issue, it generally can be fixed.
If that doesn't work contact SAI and see if they will fix it for you.

Jim

·
Registered
630 Posts
Only people who pose a legitimate public-safety risk will have anything to worry about, said Steve Lindley, director of the California Department of Justice’s Bureau of Firearms.

“If you do become prohibited, we are going to come confiscate your firearms,” Lindley said. “But only people who have done something in their life – committed a felony, committed a violent misdemeanor, they are a fugitive from justice or they have been deemed mentally ill and a danger to themselves or others. We need to take action and prevent those people from possessing firearms.”

That prohibited class represents a small sliver of California’s population of gun owners, Lindley said. Otherwise, gun owners can rest easy: His department has no plans to “go out and confiscate people’s firearms for no reason.”

“We still have our Second Amendment rights here in California,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/12/16/6003230/california-gun-owners-warily-eye.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The issue with you mag is either, spring has to many coils, or, the follower has a leg that sticks down through the spring and it is bottoming out on the floor plate.
My guess is your spring has to many coils and you are experiencing coil stack.

Take your floor plate off, remove the spring, put the mag back together, load up ten rounds without the spring and see if the top round is now far enough down to load into your rifle.

The 10 round magazines can be made from cut down parts, it is possible they cut the body just short of the required length, the spring was cut down but is still to long, or the follower leg is to long.

If the follower leg is to long you can grind down the leg about 1/16th of inch to 1/8th of an inch and get it to work.

You need to discover what part of the mag is causing the issue, it generally can be fixed.
If that doesn't work contact SAI and see if they will fix it for you.

Jim
It looks like the legs that go under the follower are the same length as the ones in videos I've seen for 20 round mags, which would make it too long for the reduced number of coils, correct?

I'm not really worried about it. This sounds like a magazine issue, rather than a bolt issue. I'm replacing the mag anyway, and that doesn't involve happy phone time with SAI.

Thanks for the wisdom!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Ya wouldn't believe how many qt cans of Lubriplate we throw away at work because it's past it's Gov'r mandated 2yr shelf life!

And even though I have a few cans in the garage , I like this stuff! Hi-temp synthetic Teflon-based and waterproof. Ya can get a tube in any automotive or hardware store.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Look up Tonyben's cleaning and lubing videos and than you will know where to put all that Grease!

Reactions: skywalker

·
Registered
54 Posts
Any thoughts on using Mobil 1 synthetic grease in an M1A? I've been using it on a number of my pistols with great results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts