M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After shimming my GC I noticed a lack of any appreciable pressure between the stock ferrule and front band. I noticed contact between the GC and inside of the stock just behind the ferrule so I relieved this area with a rotary file and for good measure I removed paint from spot where the ferrule mates with the front band. Now the contact point between the ferrule and front band is perfectly centered but with only a light squeeze of my hand can I deflect the front of the stock and create a gap. The lock up on my fiberglass stock seems weak so my next project might be shimming the pivot point, hopefully that should increase pressure on the front band. Has anyone experienced a similar situation with fiberglass stocks?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I was thinking about using "L" shaped pieces of shim material similar in the manner you suggest. My stock is the the mossy oak SAI piece. The stock has the pebble finish but I see no evidence of a selector cut being filled in when I examine the inside of the stock. It's been suggested these stocks are refinished USGI pieces but that doesn't seem to be that case with mine. I noticed the pebble grain finish doesn't provide a uniform contact patch with the receiver rails, I'll drag a fine file across the stock rails to clean things up before I add any shim. If this doesn't help I guess I'll switch to a USGI walnut piece.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.