M14 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
...The lock up on my fiberglass stock seems weak so my next project might be shimming the pivot point, hopefully that should increase pressure on the front band. Has anyone experienced a similar situation with fiberglass stocks?
I've found some USGI synthetics fitting a particular action better than others. Shimming the pivot point can indeed increase the lockup tension and thus the front band pressure. But you might also consider bending that shimming material down into the interior of the stock so that it covers the contact area between the stock and the action (you end up with an "L" shaped shim with a thick foot that also wraps over the top of the stock, creating that pivot point). The shim makes for a much snugger fit in the stock along with the increased front band pressure.

http://m14forum.com/accuracy/88679-bedding-scout-plastic-stock-roof-flashing-u-kiddin.html is a discussion of how to do it and the results you might get.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.