M14 Forum banner

I would be interested in ordering an Original Sage Int'l Pistol Grip:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I spoke with Sage International about producing their original grip for the EBR Mod 0 stock (ALCS). Sage would manufacture them from the original mold. While the final cost of the new pistol grip is unknown, I would put an estimated price at around $65 each. Are you interested in ordering one? The grip is pictured here:

Thanks in advance for your response,
jkacg1

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
since its just an imitation i would not want to pay so much.

unless im missing something and your going to have choate make them again.

if you have the means to make them i'm sure you'll sell some.

I wouldnt go out and get into the manufacturing business though.

Sage stuff is a major niche market, and m39 grips are a niche within a niche, within a niche.

becareful what you draw from this poll too.

I love the idea, i would love to build an m39 clone with your grip. Now am i actually going to do that... likely not any time soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is no imitation. Sage would manufacture them from the original mold.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,883 Posts
If I did a clone I'd buy it if it was substantially cheaper. Dredsen is right though about being a niche within a niche within a niche. I planned to do a couple more EBRs but this hasn't been in my plans, that doesn't mean it never would be.
m14brian

·
Registered
628 Posts
since its just an imitation i would not want to pay so much.

unless im missing something and your going to have choate make them again.
Doesn't look like an imitation to me... looks like the real deal part, exactly like the ones used from the prototypes through the Mk 14 Mod 0.

I paid $100 for one since they are scarce, but with a new production run, I wouldn't pay more than $25-30 (and I don't need another at the moment anyhow). Get Badger to make some EBR rings in the original gray color... then we'll talk.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Get Badger to make some EBR rings in the original gray color... then we'll talk.
+1
I do like the feel of the original grip better than the Ergo. I have both on different EBR setups. $65 seems steep to me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid $100 for one since they are scarce, but with a new production run, I wouldn't pay more than $25-30.
There would only be one batch produced and it will only happen if I am able to put together a minimum order (ridiculous number), but that is probably not going to happen judging by the response here.

Thanks,
jkacg1

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
jkacg1, First I want to thank you for making the effort.
I agree with Dredsen, this is a very vertical market. I think that if Sage was able to reproduce the original (Navy Gray) stock in the configuration correct for the M39 they would easily sell dozens of them. Might take a long time to sell the first one hundred of them. Even “Uncle” doesn’t have too many of them and I’m sure they’re happy to use the ergo grip as a replacement if they ever need one.
There are probably a lot more people out there that are looking for the earliest version of the M16 grip, (flat sided), than there ever will be for the EBR.

The reality will be that “correct” configurations for some of the EBR’s are going to be challanging to build. Kind of like comparing a (close enough) version of a Gibbs 1903 vs. an (all parts correct) version.

Reactions: jkacg1

·
13,515 Posts
you got your m14 enthusiasts. then in that group there are some that enjoy the modern m14 adaptations.

Within that group you got people that like sage chassis because of what it is, or because they didnt want to wait for a JAE.

now were just now whittling the group down to people who actually care if their rifle is dressed up like a military EBR.

I can't speak for certain, but im willing to bet there are more people building mk 14 clones than m39 clones, but thats just based on the "check out my new ebr" threads posted here. I've never even met a guy that knew what my mk14 rifle even was (i say what is it and they just nod), and im a member of two shooting clubs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why did i think choate tool produced those grips?
Don't know, but Sage actually was the one producing them and they stopped making them when the military adopted the Ergo grip.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I wish they would reproduce their original vertical foregrip. I let mine go for someone who needed it for their clone and I regret it. Their new production VFG feels cheap by comparison.

·
Registered
369 Posts
65 bucks is too expensive, I'd buy one nontheless if they were produced again...

·
Registered
628 Posts
I can't speak for certain, but im willing to bet there are more people building mk 14 clones than m39 clones, but thats just based on the "check out my new ebr" threads posted here. I've never even met a guy that knew what my mk14 rifle even was (i say what is it and they just nod), and im a member of two shooting clubs.
I would agree, and I would expect this to be due in part to the fact that the M39 uses a S&B scope that is very hard (but not impossible) to source as a civilian.

Didn't Choate make the original butt pad?

On my Mk14 clone, I've gotten as close as possible to the original without losing my mind (or draining my bank account). I use the modern butt pad, the black EBR rings (I'd buy the grey if I could find them), and a Sadlak spring guide. I also use a SEI barrel and trigger components. If I switched to a SEI scope mount/rings, I'd actually be pretty damn close to the SEI Mk14 USAF rebuild. My bolt is also not engraved, but I would have it done if someone offered a reliable and accurate service for it. I have absolutely no desire to pick up a 1 in 25 stock...

As far as people not knowing what it is - I've actually had two guys at my club come up and ask if it was a Mk 14 (one of which was shooting a brand-new SR-25). I had the 22" barrel at the time, so I'd say the NSG stock is the most identifiable portion of the gun; no one will notice an incorrect grip but yourself, and people on this board.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would agree, and I would expect this to be due in part to the fact that the M39 uses a S&B scope that is very hard (but not impossible) to source as a civilian.

Didn't Choate make the original butt pad?

On my Mk14 clone, I've gotten as close as possible to the original without losing my mind (or draining my bank account). I use the modern butt pad, the black EBR rings (I'd buy the grey if I could find them), and a Sadlak spring guide. I also use a SEI barrel and trigger components. If I switched to a SEI scope mount/rings, I'd actually be pretty damn close to the SEI Mk14 USAF rebuild. My bolt is also not engraved, but I would have it done if someone offered a reliable and accurate service for it. I have absolutely no desire to pick up a 1 in 25 stock...

As far as people not knowing what it is - I've actually had two guys at my club come up and ask if it was a Mk 14 (one of which was shooting a brand-new SR-25). I had the 22" barrel at the time, so I'd say the NSG stock is the most identifiable portion of the gun; no one will notice an incorrect grip but yourself, and people on this board.
I believe SpeedFeed was the original recoil pad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no one will notice an incorrect grip but yourself, and people on this board.
For me personally, I prefer the MK14/M39 grip because it fits my hand better than the Ergo grip. The fact that it makes my MK14 clone more authentic is just a bonus.

So the majority of the respondents to the pole so far have said that the $65 price tag is too high. At what price point would you buy?

Thanks,
jkacg1

·
Registered
628 Posts
For me personally, I prefer the MK14/M39 grip because it fits my hand better than the Ergo grip. The fact that it makes my MK14 clone more authentic is just a bonus.

So the majority of the respondents to the pole so far have said that the $65 price tag is too high. At what price point would you buy?

Thanks,
jkacg1
I'd consider a spare for $25-30.

I believe you are correct, Speedfeed made the original buttpad IIRC. And the current one... Limbsaver? I'll have to check the safe tomorrow.

·
13,515 Posts
its made by pachmayr... best buttpad ever.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts