M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some things happened the other day, . . . got me to thinking about "putting away" 20 or 30 gallons of gasoline "just in case".

Questions came up in my mind:

1. How long will it stay good?

2. Are there any additives that really work that prolong it's usefulness?

3. I want to use 5 gallon containers, . . . rotate out one every so often so the supply stays relatively fresh, . . . but don't know the numbers.

4. Oh, yeah, . . . same info needed for off road diesel.

Thanks in advance for the information.

May God bless,
DwightNAV1

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Stabil definately extends the life of gasoline.

I have tape on my fuel containers & write on the tape the date the fuel was purchased. That guarantees I know which is oldest.

HH

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I store about 30 gallons every fall since our last ice storm. Gas was really hard to find for about 3 days because of how wide an area it impacted.

I wait till they switch over to winter blend gas, I have always heard it is much better to store, and I put the proper amount of Stabil in it. So far I have not had any problems. Since nothing happened last year I still have gas left that I am using now. I have run my lawn mower all year on it and occasionally mix a jug of it into my truck. Everything runs just fine on it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Another vote for Stabil and labeling containers with dates.

For my diesel, I use a stabilizer / anti gel additive that I picked up at the local auto parts store. I have never had a problem with my tractor starting in sub freezing temps.

HD

·
Registered
870 Posts
There is a version of Stabil for diesel too. I think that will keep it stable for about 8 years, but I'm not sure.

If you have pigs and other high fat sources you might think about keeping the materials to make biodiesel from that. Those material will store longer.

Haven't done it yet myself, with all my traveling.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

STABIL says standard treatment up to 1 year double treat may work up to 2 years. plus 1 on rotation use in auto never fill up auto just fill up storage use storage to top off auto weekly or as needed if you run tank of gas a week on average or 15 gallons then keep 30 in rotation gas always fresh and full . when you top of auto then take jugs and fill them not auto. if you use more then need more storage . rule of thumb is times 2 or more ,,, this being during a shortage or crisis it may be when unit is low so after fill you really only have 1 backup fill in storage and not enough to meet your need long term !

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all, . . . there are some other names on the shelf and I just wanted to get something that has proven its worth.

May God bless,
Dwight

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Stabil

Same here, five 5 gallon gas cans treated with Stabil. Two 5 gallon gas cans of diesel for my tractor.

As an aside, my understanding is that if diesel is kept in an airtight container, like a metal drum, it will last for several years. I recently read that some work was going on in Alaska where drums of diesel had been stored for several decades and that the machinery being used in the recent construction was being fueled with that diesel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Gasoline/ Fuel Storage

Guys, I think we missed a often overlooked subject in this equation, the fuel can. Make sure the can is air tight, rugged, and has a good liner. Colemans Surplus used to sell steel German 5 gallon fuel cans for $20 per can plus shipping, now they have doubled in price. The cap is lever closed and air tight. The can is very rugged and easily transportable. Also there is a nozzle that is easily attached. I wish I bought more when they were cheap.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Guys, I think we missed a often overlooked subject in this equation, the fuel can. Make sure the can is air tight, rugged, and has a good liner. Colemans Surplus used to sell steel German 5 gallon fuel cans for $20 per can plus shipping, now they have doubled in price. The cap is lever closed and air tight. The can is very rugged and easily transportable. Also there is a nozzle that is easily attached. I wish I bought more when they were cheap.
I would be reluctant to store gas in a steel cans these days due to the amount of ethanol in it, you will likely have rust issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I love the Scepter MFC containers for gas storage. No metal = no rust. Wish I could go back in time and pick up a lot more at about $35 a pop before the enviro-loons got them banned. You can still find them on ebay, but probabl not for THAT price GI2

All the enviro-loon approved ("CARB Complaint") cans, IIRC, vent so much that they're totally useless for any kind of extended storage of fuel.

BTW, anyone else here heard of/use Pri-G for the stabilizer? I do, harder to find but supposed to be very good. So far no complaints, but I don't really push the dates of stored fuel much if I can help it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts