M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the point to explain the difference between cleaning and maintaining the Gas System. Cleaning first, the solvent has had time to do it's work.

Continue to run patches, double if possible, into the cylinder until they come out clean. Now, work on the Cylinder threads, I use a small brush with solvent to clean the threaded area, followed with patches until the Threads are very clean, same for the Gas Plug.

A word about the Solvent, Hoppes no 9. in this case. I add about 1/4 of Kroil Oil to the Gas System cleaning solvent.

The Solvent on the Piston should be wiped off with a soft clean cloth, dry as possible. Remove any carbon build up on stem, the flat surface seems to build up small spot of carbon near the end, work this off.

Re-assemble: drop the Piston into the cylinder, flat side up to pass through the D hole in the back of the Gas cyl.. Place the plug into the Lock, look at it close, make certain the plug body is centered in the lock before starting to thread into place. If the Plug is not centered, a slight adjustment to the Lock may be necessary. If your Lock is feel floating, goes past dead bottom, move it to center the plug. If your Lock is snug, you may have to tap it with a soft faced hammer to get proper alignment. Hand screw the Gas Plug into cylinder if possible, wrench if necessary, to a hand tight position. Use the Gas Cylinder wrench in the same method as when removing the Plug, opposite torque, and tighten the Gas Plug good and snug. If you use a Torque Wrench, use between 125 to 150 INCH LBS...

Hand turn the Gas Cyl. drills, start with the large, it is not necessary to attempt to remove every bit of carbon out of the
Piston, but I do spin a used 30 cal. brush in the drill press, working inside the Cylinder to remove carbon from the wall. Do the same with the inside of the Gas Plug.

OOPs, reverse the last two paragraphs. If you can get this in the correct order you should have no problems doing the cleaning..

Maintaining the Piston and Gas Cylinder later. Art

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mr. Luppino have you ever run across a gas piston that was had the tail bore completely clogged? If so how many rounds would you estimate it would take if it were possible? Also ever run across a gas piston that the tail wasn't bored? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.

·
Banned
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Questions

Mr. Luppino have you ever run across a gas piston that was had the tail bore completely clogged? If so how many rounds would you estimate it would take if it were possible? Also ever run across a gas piston that the tail wasn't bored? Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.
I have seen pistons that were full of carbon to a point the carbon blocked the gas inlet causing failure to cycle. I have never seen a piston without a secondary hole in the stem.

How may rounds to foul a piston's internal space, I don't know the answer to that, many, many, a whole S--t-pot full is the best I can do. Some powders are dirty, ball powder seems to require more frequent service..

Those are good questions, wish my answers were as good. Art

1 - 5 of 5 Posts