M14 Forum banner

Gas port...

756 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dogear 
#1 ·
Just got an email from the gunsmith. He is fitting an SA Crinkle stock that I bought on the PX and unitizing the gas assembly. He asked if I had shot the rifle yet because he noticed that the gas port was not properly drilled and had a burr in the barrel! Ive only had one feed failure and that was with a poly mog so I guess it wasn't a huge issue but I bet that burr would have shown itself once I started shooting for groups. So FYI for all the newer model Springfield owners I guess. Shows how fresh I am though, I thought it was the best shooting rifle I've ever had. Haha

Thanks.

#2 ·
The burr will be in a barrel groove and probably won't effect anything.

If there were any shims used to "time" the gas lock, the shims will throw the gas port off just a bit.

A unitized gas system shouldn't need shims.

Remember the two gas port holes are slightly different sizes.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks that is good to hear, so maybe not as big a deal as I thought. He didn't seem too perturbed. It was all me with the exclamations.

I don't believe there are any shims but I will ask. I'm pretty sure he is the real deal so I didn't pepper him with too many questions but I did ask how he was going to unitize just for my own edification and he said that he is "drilling and tapping so the front band is screwed to the spindle valve".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.