M14 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents. I have a standard SA M1A. I have about 2500 rds fired so far. I clean the gas system every 4-500 rds. I am starting to see some wear on the piston. The stem is starting to show some pitting. Nothing major. It has never rusted. The piston itself is still looking good. Its just starting to show some streaks . It looks like some normal stuff. My question is when should I replace it? When will performance start to degrade? I was thinking about a Smith ent. piston or an LRB titanium coated piston. If anybody has any experiance with any of those I would love to hear about it. Or any other kind . How many rounds can you expect out of a typical piston from Springfield Armory ? I don't want to replace it if I really don't need to. I shimmed the gas system so I have been pretty happy with it . Thanks...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Keep track of your grouping size.
If it starts opening up, start worrying abut changing stuff.
I believe to a point, a little streaking/ carbon scoring/ pitting is considered normal.
There are posts here about rifles liking specific kinds of pistons..so just changing one out may actually make your groups worse.
If you're really committed to knowing, buy a USGI, SEI and TiNi Piston to see if there's a difference.
But you may still be better off just buying more ammo and enjoying your range time.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I was thinking about a Smith ent. piston or an LRB titanium coated piston.
I believe it is a Sadlak titanium coated piston

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Piston

Shoot it till your shoulder needs rotator cup surgery, then replace as necessary....the shoulder...DI2

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Shoot it till your shoulder needs rotator cup surgery, then replace as necessary....the shoulder...DI2
LOL, GREAT ANSWER. Made me chuckle.

MCORPS1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts