M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just so that I am clear on the issue. If I have a gas lock (SEI w/sight) that will not time correctly, can I shim the gas cylinder to correct the issue? I know I can only go so far until the hole in the cylinder and the hole in the barrel no longer match up.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,294 Posts
The gas port in the gas cylinder is larger than that in the barrel. This allows a certain amount of offset for thread and parts tolerances. A standard gas lock must not tighten past one o'clock and would be backed off to the six o'clock position to be within military specs. Most prefer the gas lock to tighten by hand about five to five thirty and wrenched to six o'clock. However, it really doesn't matter if the lock goes past that as long as it is less than one o'clock.

If the gas lock tightens to four thirty or less and is tightened the rest of the way by wrench, it may be over tightened and can actually bend the barrel. Better loose than too tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.