M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer for your rifle builds, USGI or commercial stainless steel? How good are SAI carbon steel GC's? Are stainless GC's easier to clean? Are they more impervious to contamination from powder residue? Which last longer? What GC/piston combination have you found works best?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Which do you prefer for your rifle builds, USGI or commercial stainless steel? How good are SAI carbon steel GC's?
M14 type rifle gas cylinders, USGI or commercial manufacture, are made from stainless steel. The only exception are gas cylinders manufactured in the People's Republic of China which are made from carbon steel.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have only ever used USGI so I can't comment on the other. I can say that the USGI have never shown me any problems.
This also goes for Garand gas cylinders.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I use both USGI and SEI. Both are top quality. The only reason for useing a GI over a SEI would be if all other parts are GI.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
Nothing wrong with for example, the commeercial SAI gas cylinder. Mine worked fine for about 15 years and I swapped for a new-in-the-can SA USGI cylinder. The original SAI is still with me, and the dimensions are still within spec.

JWB

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
Butter...

One of the guys wants to know why I prefer GI, SEI, and LRB.

I guess I just prefer the real deal. It's like "I can't believe it's not really butter". Margarine is alright, but if it's so great why is it trying so hard to imitate butter?

The GI gas cylinder is what the others are trying to duplicate. GI parts set the standard. Some like SEI have made what they consider improvements, but that doesn't make them necessary even though they are good. LRB has gone the forged route and produced a very good reproduction part. Springfield makes an acceptable part too. These are all stainless steel and work fine.

·
"Death From Above"
11,887 Posts
I have used gi sei and about to use an LRB gas cylinder on my next build. I don't have any complaints with any of them. I am not sure why but the sei and sai that I have a re identical. Again I have no idea why.
The next one I will be using as I said will be an LRB, why you ask, have one rifle built with each gi manufacturers kits a SAI and Sei. I fund out that of the commercial ones LRB are the only ones that are forged as opposed to cast. I am not trying to start the old cast vs forged debate just know what I want. I am going to build one of my two 14 builds I am working on with as many lrb parts as I can. Figure why not. I would not be adverse to use any commercial one on the market today, sei sai lrb to name a couple.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
The only way I have found is to compare them side by side. The USGIs I have seen will have the top and bottom surfaces ground flat, whereas the SAI flats will not have the grinding sirface. At least that's been my experience...

JWB

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.