M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Brand New M-14 Gas Cylinders in a tube but I can't figure out how to open the tube without damaging it too much. Can anyone tell me how to open the tube so I don't completely destroy the tube? Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my first USGI FS. I used a pair of needle nose pliers and just yanked one of the caps off. It took a bit of effort but managed to preserve the tube.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I ended up yanking one of the ends off the tube but the metal seal was damaged in the process. I opened it to find 2 Brand New in the Wrap, USGI Gas Cylinders. I can't believe that I'm the first one to lay my hands on these GS in 30 or so years. I am very happy. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It can give you an weird feeling. I recently opened a wooden crate of M1 Carbine Gas Piston Nut Wrenches. The crate contains 400 each, or 40 boxes of 10 each. The individual boxes were braced with unused Wonder Bread wrappers with the colored baloons and some 1944 dated newspapers which were slightly shredded.

When I open stuff like that I often think that the people who worked on that production line are long dead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Old items are definitely made more interesting when you can appreciate the stories they can tell.

We have a piece of American furniture from around 1800. It has hand writing on the back from the woodworker and the original owners. To think that when the piece was made, men who fought in the Revolution still walked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.