M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
When my son-in-law worked for a company that used stainless for everything, I gave him a shim and asked him to see if he could find stainless washers that size. He came back with a close match. I.D. was good but I had to trim the O.D. a bit. He no longer works there so I have to buy 'em just like everyone else. Maybe a boat marina would have some stainless washers, but boat engine parts are expensive too.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,826 Posts
Shims

Fulton's shims are the alternative...
The prefered method is to unitize the gas cylinder and barrel band by screwing them together (US ARMY) or welding (USMC).

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Shims

Ted Brown said:
Fulton's shims are the alternative...
The prefered method is to unitize the gas cylinder and barrel band by screwing them together (US ARMY) or welding (USMC).
Thanks for the input Ted. Even my H&R M21 with a unitized gas cylinder required shims to make the gas cylinder lock go hand tight at 4 o-clock.

The M14 in question has a gas cylinder lock that goes hand tight at 7 o-clock. Unitizing isn't going to help that.

Fulton's is out of stock so Im looking for some local solution.

I guess I will try to find a washer with the same diameter and sand the thickness to make it fit.

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Armscorp used to carry them as well. I'm sure there are others that carry the shim set. If your going to use shims, the shim kit would be the way to go. You get the assortment pack of thicknesses.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you don't mind ordering from Krazy Kanada, MysticPlayer on the Canadian Gun Nutz website sells sets of shims in various thicknesses. Here's the link.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewtopic.php?p=308849#308849

You may have to join the forum but it is worth it as there is a wealth of info on M1A/M14 type rifles there. Knowledgeable guys like Skullboy, Hungry, Rooster33 and others know their stuff.

Turf

·
Banned
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turf said:
If you don't mind ordering from Krazy Kanada, MysticPlayer on the Canadian Gun Nutz website sells sets of shims in various thicknesses. Here's the link.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/viewtopic.php?p=308849#308849

You may have to join the forum but it is worth it as there is a wealth of info on M1A/M14 type rifles there. Knowledgeable guys like Skullboy, Hungry, Rooster33 and others know their stuff.

Turf
Thanks for the link Turf! I am a member there and also have a couple of Rooster33 op rod spring guides.

Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey JohnnyReb, yeah Rooster's op-rod spring guides are awesome. I did a side by side comparison of my own M14s and the pictures on his website do not lie. One of mine has a Rooster and the other a NM, both have recoil buffers. The actions on both of my rifles are identical yet the one with Rooster's mod seems smoother and my groups a tad tighter. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

Turf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.