M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making modifications to my Scout and need to remove the gas cylinder. This thing will not budge no mater how many times I whack it. I have even tried heating the cylinder straps around the barrel and it still won't budge. How do I get this thing off?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried light taps with a mallet. The thing acts like it is welded on. I'm starting to invent new swear words.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Was it bought new or used?
What part can't you get out?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
In the link that I sent, what step are you on?

·
Registered
279 Posts
make sure you've removed (unscrewed) the gas cylinder lock..use a block of wood and a tap it, it will come off.. oil helps heat not as much.. B2B

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Should not be that hard to remove. I suspect someone may have used epoxy or loctite in the splines to mount it originally.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It was bought new in the box - SA. I suspect it was the DAG surplus ammo I recently gave away. It was the dirtiest ammo I ever shot...and corrosive. Anyway, it is soaking in Kroil and I will try removal again in the morning.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If epoxy or loctight was use heating with a torch will break it free just don't get it too hot, and remove the gas shut off valve and spring first.. B2B

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
In the link that I sent, what step are you on?
Just for clarity. You did remove the gas cylinder plug and gas cylinder lock? If these are removed you are going to have to tap it off with a hammer. Use a block of wood or aluminum directly on the gas cylinder and a small ball peen hammer. Rubber hammers don't work well for this sort of thing. You need a solid blow, but don't hit the gas cylinder directley with the hammer.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It was bought new in the box - SA. I suspect it was the DAG surplus ammo I recently gave away. It was the dirtiest ammo I ever shot...and corrosive. Anyway, it is soaking in Kroil and I will try removal again in the morning.
I may be wrong here, but I don't believe DAG is corrosive, just berdan primed. Good luck anyways, though.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I second that did you remove the gas plug, and then turn the gas lock off before trying to tap the gas cylinder off? It wouldn't be epoxied on if it came from SAI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got it off finally. After soaking overnight in Kroil I ended up using a steel punch on the back side of the band to drive the gas cylinder off. I figured the band was sacrificial for my purpose. I also used a hammer and not a mallet with the receiver braced on a piece of wood. Striking close to the restraint (grip with the barrel) was less stressful for me than repeated whacks on the cantilevered cylinder. The disassembled parts were loaded with crude and given a thorough cleaning before reassembly. Reassembly was similar in reverse except I treated the parts with anti-seize and used a steel tube over the barrel to drive the gas cylinder down. I think the problem was an issue of tolerance with the parts at maximum material condition. I did not make any attempts to change part size or form. Anyway, the exercise is complete and all functions well. The experience will help when I perform the same procedures on my Socom 16.

Thank you all who replied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts