M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding the can of gas cylinders I have in my want to trade post, the can is dated 3/62, do the gas cylinders contained in it have the bottom lip for the front band, or not? Does anyone know what year they stopped making it without the lip?
Thank you,
m14brian

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
I have several of those, a few years back when I was building my, All Winchester M14, I opened one and out came two lipless gas cylinders. What does this mean, nothing really.

I don't believe you will find the answer as I have looked and can find no definitive date as to when the switch over occurred.

I have also opened several of the supposed Winchester tubes dated 1967 but having no Winchester stamp(OM) and they have all been lipped gas cylinders.

Hope this tidbit helped.
RenGI2

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
It is my understanding that the change was made in 1960. The NSN on your can indicates it is the later version.

An interesting side note: Some SAI rifles came from the factory with USGI gas cylinders having no lip right up until they ran out of USGI parts.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
It is my understanding that the change was made in 1960. The NSN on your can indicates it is the later version.

An interesting side note: Some SAI rifles came from the factory with USGI gas cylinders having no lip right up until they ran out of USGI parts.
I have a no lip gas cylinder on my M1a, that was assembled in Dec.'95, but has no OM or W or any other markings on it. I may be wrong on this, but I understood that only Winchester made the no lip cylinder. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1

Reactions: m14brian

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
I have a no lip gas cylinder on my M1a, that was assembled in Dec.'95, but has no OM or W or any other markings on it. I may be wrong on this, but I understood that only Winchester made the no lip cylinder. -Lloyd BEERCHUG1
I believe Springfield Armory and H&R both delivered M14 rifles to the military before the change. Winchester would have started delivery about the time of the change. TRW rifles should have all had the newer cylinders.

·
Registered
814 Posts
All the original first H&R contract U.S. M14 rifles we looked at from s/n 56K thru 87K had the early gas cylinder without the reinforcement. Interestingly, none of these early H&R gas cylinders had any manufacturing marks such as the "circle K" or "circle T" seen on the later H&R gas cylinders with the reinforcement. HTH

·
Registered
14,768 Posts
I have a nice one without the lug, in case someone is doing T44E4 build.

It might be my eyes playing tricks on me, but under a jeweler's loupe it looks like there is a circle with LF in it pressed into the right side of the tail.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Gentlemen! There is gold in this thread.

My guess would have been '60/'61 that they stopped being manufactured with the lip since only the 'early' ones had it, but '60 makes more sense really.
I haven't opened one of these particular tubes, so I appreciate the input also from those that have!
m14brian

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks, Gentlemen! There is gold in this thread.

My guess would have been '60/'61 that they stopped being manufactured with the lip since only the 'early' ones had it, but '60 makes more sense really.
I haven't opened one of these particular tubes, so I appreciate the input also from those that have!
m14brian
I think KurtC was saying they started the lip version in 1960.

So your can of gas cylinders are the later version and should have the lip.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're right, I didn't catch that, I meant they stopped the non lipped version. (6 of 1, half dozen of the other).
m14brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.