M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up collecting parts for my full USGI Winchester build of My Fulton M21
receiver. One of the last items I sourced was a NOS canister of 2 Winchester gas cylinders. The card board canister was sealed and both of the cylinders are perfect in their paper wrapping. I already had a treeline parts kit for the small parts including the USGI plug. My head scratching moment came when I tried to thread the plug into the cylinder, I got about one thread in and it comes to a firm halt! I don't force threads so I backed it out... No apparent damage, cleaned and lubricated both male and female threads to get the same result again? Am I missing something or were there different thread counts? any input would be appreciated.. In addition I will be parting with the other NOS gas cylinder and anyone wanting to make an offer please shoot me a PM.

Thank you!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Finishing up collecting parts for my full USGI Winchester build of My Fulton M21
receiver. One of the last items I sourced was a NOS canister of 2 Winchester gas cylinders. The card board canister was sealed and both of the cylinders are perfect in their paper wrapping. I already had a treeline parts kit for the small parts including the USGI plug. My head scratching moment came when I tried to thread the plug into the cylinder, I got about one thread in and it comes to a firm halt! I don't force threads so I backed it out... No apparent damage, cleaned and lubricated both male and female threads to get the same result again? Am I missing something or were there different thread counts? any input would be appreciated.. In addition I will be parting with the other NOS gas cylinder and anyone wanting to make an offer please shoot me a PM.

Thank you!
Are you sure the plug is USGI and not Chincom?

Reactions: RealtorEHS

·
Registered
14,413 Posts
If it is a refinished plug from an M14, the threads could very well be peened.

Gas plugs take a beating from the piston. After awhile, the threads become "mated" to the gas cylinder threads, especially if the rifle was fired with the plug "not as tight as it should be."

It may not be visible to the naked eye and the plug is serviceable, it just may not easily thread into any cylinder except the one it came out of.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
Are these the gas cylinders you bought from me?

If so, I will send you a New From Wrap plug for free if you continue to have problems. I don't usually sell new gas plugs because like already mentioned they take a beating and often get boogered up bad so it's always a good idea to have spares.

Regardless, thanks for supporting my gas trap project so like I said if these came from me and you continue to experience problems let me know and I send a new plug your way on me.

---Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.