M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search here and on Google but didn't turn anything up. This is supposed to be unused and other than some shelf wear it looks fine. I have a Poly reciever that I am starting with to have a rifle built and if this is a decent gas system I will sent it to the builder. If not I'm still looking I guess.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
Looks like commercial, maybe SAI. Cast from what I can tell.

In this pic, USGI SA on left, SAI cast on right. You can see the sharp transition between the ground flat on the top of the USGI, and the smootth transition between the flat and curve on the SAI.

You can also clearly see the grinding marks on the flats of the USGI.

JWB

· Registered
573 Posts
+1 on the cast SA Inc.

SA Inc. isnt the greatest brand out there but it will work for a long time.

Good Shooting.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
...If you were building a nice rifle would you use this or go another route?
Well, the gas cyl on the right, the SAI, was on my original Bush rifle I bought in 1994. It has 12,000 rounds and has not worn at all, maybe just 0.001" max. Still within spec,

Nothing wrong with SAI cast gas cylinders, IMO.

Now, did the seller say it's unused?? Mine has no external wear either, but it's certainly used. Is that piston supposed to be unused also? Pistons are much easier to ID if used, BTW, just by the appearance of the front end that impacts the gas cylinder plug.

Did all those components come as a package?

JWB

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it came as a package. The PO purchased it a few years ago for a build that never happened. He thought it was SA or Fulton but couldn't remember and told me so. The end of the piston is mint, shiney with sharp edges.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
Looks like commercial, maybe SAI. Cast from what I can tell.

In this pic, USGI SA on left, SAI cast on right. You can see the sharp transition between the ground flat on the top of the USGI, and the smootth transition between the flat and curve on the SAI.

You can also clearly see the grinding marks on the flats of the USGI.

JWB
I have a gas cylinder that looks just like the one on the right in the picture. It is stamped with a T inside a circle making it a H&R subcontractor USGI.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. The t inside the circle is stamped on the top flat part that is under the barrel so with removing the gas cylinder that might be hard to photograph, although I have been wanting to shim it.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
I'll try and post a picture tomorrow. The t inside the circle is stamped on the top flat part that is under the barrel so with removing the gas cylinder that might be hard to photograph, although I have been wanting to shim it.
Cool. From your pics of your rear sight, you can do a good job of picture-taking. DI2 See if you can get a close-up of the bottom surfaces like the ones above also.

TIA,

JWB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.