M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Truth. But in all seriousness, probably going to get the delta p adapter and dead air brake (or jcomp?) at a min. Also going for the sadlak nm op rod guide.

Really dislike how the brake doesn't fit flush on the barrel face. From what I've read it potentially leads to accuracy issues and just makes cleaning a bother.
Do you have pictures of the gap you’re talking about?

Are you actually having accuracy issues? Tweaking something that isn’t malfunctioning may make things worse. Sadlak op rod spring guide not included in that comment.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The gap that he's talking about is something that I've pointed out for years.
View attachment 482694

The drawing above was based on my SOCOM and the gap it had. The gap will vary to some degree but every SOCOM I've ever dealt with had it. I used to do some machining work and of course I applied that to my gun hobby. I picked up a book many years ago about how to build brakes ("The Accurate Muzzle Brake" by Troy Newlon). In that book the author discusses the fact that too large of an inside diameter, as compared to the bullet's diameter, can cause hot gasses to swirl around the bullet and push it around reducing the precision of the rifle. I assumed that the same problem would occur with that gap and installed a Delta P adapter on my rifle in order to eliminate that gap. The end result was a very noticeable improvement in group sizes.
This was a three round test using 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match
View attachment 482695

My average groups with all kinds of commercial ammo and handloads are around 1 MOA plus or minus a little but with a couple of specific loads, using a good scope, I can hold under 1 MOA pretty consistently.
That’s interesting; I wasn’t aware this was a consistent issue as I switched to delta p pretty early for the brake flexibility offered. I guess the assumption is the gas being pushed forward finds that gap and then reeks all sorts of havoc on the bullet stability as it enters the brake, not to mention screw with the barrel harmonics.

Do we think SAI would be aware, whether or not they’d care?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts