M14 Forum banner

Gas cylinder boo boo?

1728 24
Noticing I may not have been as careful as I thought. Was taking down the s16 and noticed burrs on the face of the gas cylinder.

Also, still having a helluva time getting the tip fo the barrel clean.

Your 2c are most welcome!
Hand Automotive tire Finger Rim Bicycle part

Automotive tire Finger Bicycle part Wood Thumb
Reactions: nf1e
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You didn't get much of a response because most of what you listed aren't of any real value to improving the rifle.
Truth. But in all seriousness, probably going to get the delta p adapter and dead air brake (or jcomp?) at a min. Also going for the sadlak nm op rod guide.

Really dislike how the brake doesn't fit flush on the barrel face. From what I've read it potentially leads to accuracy issues and just makes cleaning a bother.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The gap that he's talking about is something that I've pointed out for years.
View attachment 482694

The drawing above was based on my SOCOM and the gap it had. The gap will vary to some degree but every SOCOM I've ever dealt with had it. I used to do some machining work and of course I applied that to my gun hobby. I picked up a book many years ago about how to build brakes ("The Accurate Muzzle Brake" by Troy Newlon). In that book the author discusses the fact that too large of an inside diameter, as compared to the bullet's diameter, can cause hot gasses to swirl around the bullet and push it around reducing the precision of the rifle. I assumed that the same problem would occur with that gap and installed a Delta P adapter on my rifle in order to eliminate that gap. The end result was a very noticeable improvement in group sizes.
This was a three round test using 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match
View attachment 482695

My average groups with all kinds of commercial ammo and handloads are around 1 MOA plus or minus a little but with a couple of specific loads, using a good scope, I can hold under 1 MOA pretty consistently.
Yes, exactly.

Getting erratic "groups." First, I assumed the problem to be me, which is why I bought a 22 to practice trigger pull. After drilling the same hole at 50yds I figured I'd try my skill w the socom. All too often I'd get erratic shots. So there's something wrong.

Thinking it has to be something with the gap, and/or draw pressure, maybe even the op rod not being 100 centered (notice a little play allowing the op rod to strike the piston slightly off center).

Don't know. Need to watch some Tony b on utube. The upgrades are half serious trouble shooting. I mean, left to my own devices, I'd upgrade to a blackfeather, and all the goodies that become possible thereafter. However, bc I'm not mr. Moneybags, im thinking go w a delta p and some sort of comp (bc wonderful CA) for now. Was thinking the schuster gp and dead air sandman bc well you never know when I may leave this glorious state and find myself in a more sane location.

I don't think SAI cares. There's no way they'd not know. Assume they suspect it creates a negligible difference given the socom wasn't meant to be a dmr, and so they dgaf.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts