M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know a correct type of finish to use refinnishing GI gas cylinders and plugs if anyone knows. I've been doing gunkote since it's stainless on them but some people wwant original. Can anyone tell me what works and where to get it for a parkerized looking finnish. I know now bluing only works on chinese gas system parts as they have a different type of stainless that takes blue but I've tried it on several gas plugs and it won't touch them.
Gunkote is about as close to the method described in the ordinance manual for fixing shiney cylinders that I can find too. There's got to be a way to do the original finish.

·
Registered
359 Posts
dan:
try anokote they are in upstate ny they have several processes for blackening stainless all comply with mil spec astm as well as iso standards i had them do a bunch of m14 and m1 garand gas cylinders plugs, and lockdowns the stuff came back perfect. i will look up there address in my stuff tonight. min order was 75.00 bucks but they sent me a letter not long ago telling me stuff was going up in price due to epa taxes and costs to operate. they also hard coat black anodize aluminum as well as titanium.
regards jeff

·
Banned
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. You are a lot of help. I might try the bluing brownells has for stainless. I got a big can of it in the shop but wasn't gonna set up my stuff for it till we move the end of august. I bet it's gonna be a pain to blue these things though. Cylinders anyway. Trying to keep the stuff out of the inside looks like fun.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dan:
I goofed on the name its anoplate not anokote.
that brownells stuff is tuff to use. you will make plenty of goofs until you get it right.
anoplates number is 315-471-6143 they have been in this business doing it for govt as well as industry for 44 years asak for renee ventresca.
the turn around time on your parts will astound you. jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.