M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had an issue with any of my AR15's, but they don't have a lot of rounds through them either.

Now, my question is, if we need to clean gas/carbon build up from the gas system of the M14 because it builds up over time, why doesn't it build up in the gas tube of the AR15?

I recently cleaned out, and enlarged the gas port in my FAL and it was pretty crudded up with carbon that came out when I ran the first drill bit through the port.

If it build up in the M14 gas system and build up in the FAL gas system, why doesn't it build up in the AR15 gas tube?

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
With AR's, all that stuff is crapped all over the moving parts instead of being confined in a gas cylinder by a piston and no direct way back to the action.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Carbon builds up when the gasses are too cool so my guess is that the gases in the AR tube are hotter than the gasses in the gas cylinder of the M1A. Come to think of it, it makes sense since gasses cool as they expand and there is less volume in the AR's tube so the gasses will cool less.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
They make q tip looking things for cleaning AR gas tubes. Not necessary though.

AR's build up carbon inside the bolt carrier and on the tail of the bolt but that will depend on your cleaning intervals and ammo used. I rarely see it there but all of mine are range rifles and I break the bolts down fairly frequently for giggles. If you shoot carbine classes and put say 1000 rounds through it without cleaning the carrier then you may need to get in there with a small screwdriver and scrap the carbon off the bolt tail.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Let me just say this - don't stick anything in your gas tube to clean it with! You don't need to spray brake cleaner or gun scrubber, or anything in there either. Leave it alone, and all will be well in the world.

Uncle has been using the system for over 40 years - probably closer to 50, and the military has never felt the need to clean the inside of the gas tube. Ever. That should tell you something.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Let me just say this - don't stick anything in your gas tube to clean it with! You don't need to spray brake cleaner or gun scrubber, or anything in there either. Leave it alone, and all will be well in the world.

Uncle has been using the system for over 40 years - probably closer to 50, and the military has never felt the need to clean the inside of the gas tube. Ever. That should tell you something.
+1.

If it makes you feel better, replace the gas tube and pin with new parts every 10,000 rounds... DI5

·
Registered
556 Posts
Checkout the inside of your BC next time you pull the bolt out and you'll know exactly where all that crude ended up. Hint, it ain't in the gas tube.

Seriously though, I think the pressure is to high and the material too hot to settle in the tube. I've always been cautioned NOT to clean the tube, that it is truly self cleaning. You can actually cause the rifle to short stroke if you try to clean it and get lint and other gunk pushed up in there.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hadn't thought about the temps causing the gas/carbon to "settle" out. That's probably the reason.

Yeah, AR's are filthy beasts. No more of them for me. I got a SIG 556R a year back and even after several range trips it still has the grease on the rails/bolt I put on it when I got home. Just wipe off the bolt lugs, clean the barrel and put it away till next time. If I buy another .223 semi auto it'll either be a SIG 516 or a SIG 556. No reason the wife should have a dirty gun either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts