M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up, there's a Garand/Vintage military rifle match at Roslyn Rifle/Pistol Club in Calverton this Saturday morning, November 6.
Just sighted my rifle in for the match, looking forward to it.

http://www.nyhighpower.com/pdf/roslyn2010.doc

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Moderate turn out for the Garand match on Long Island on Saturday. I managed a first place finish with my Springfield Garand. 400 point agg, I shot a 376. Not bad for my first Garand match. Always loved the Garand, glad I invested the money to have mine restored.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
I wish I could have made that one I was working all weekend. Had a flight to Columbia SA and one to atlatic city yesterday. Will there be anymore this year?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately no. They're planning to have some more and varied category shoots next year. Peconic too. Both are going to try some 200 yard any sight matches including a reduced F-Class category.
Looking forward to it.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Please keep me posted! I would love to start competing next season. I have a garand that is pretty much stock aside from the Krieger heavy barrel, match sights and unitized handguard. It's a great shooter barley broken in. I also just put together an AR-15A2 match conditioned service rilfe and to round outthe competition rilfes I built a legal M14 SM conditioned M14SA. Have to collect some gear but the rifles are in place and I would love to get involved with the local match sceen next year.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Please keep me posted! I would love to start competing next season. I have a garand that is pretty much stock aside from the Krieger heavy barrel, match sights and unitized handguard. It's a great shooter barley broken in.
82nd., just FYI in case you didn't already know, your Garand is not legal for CMP sanctioned "as-issued" John C. Garand matches. It would work for the CMP "unlimited" Garand category though. Hope you can squeeze in a few matches next year, you'll be hooked for life.

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
Is it the sights only or all three of the mods? Barrel and handguard? I have a line on a second totally stock correct SA rifle a friend want to get ride of for $500 I planned on buying it over the winter. The inky problem with it is the front sifght is hanging off the dovetail quite a bit to maintain zero. I have not inspected the rifle so I don't know if it's over/under indexed or not. I would expect it's an easy fix I have the tools. Either way I plan on picking it up one of these days. He said he would not sell it to anyone else.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please keep me posted! I would love to start competing next season. I have a garand that is pretty much stock aside from the Krieger heavy barrel, match sights and unitized handguard. It's a great shooter barley broken in. I also just put together an AR-15A2 match conditioned service rilfe and to round outthe competition rilfes I built a legal M14 SM conditioned M14SA. Have to collect some gear but the rifles are in place and I would love to get involved with the local match sceen next year.

I would suggest attending the Small Arms Firing School conducted at Peconic River next April. This way you can get the training out of the way to shoot Highpower matches. Its a full weekend but the instruction on position shooting and proper sling use is terrific.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it the sights only or all three of the mods? Barrel and handguard? I have a line on a second totally stock correct SA rifle a friend want to get ride of for $500 I planned on buying it over the winter. The inky problem with it is the front sifght is hanging off the dovetail quite a bit to maintain zero. I have not inspected the rifle so I don't know if it's over/under indexed or not. I would expect it's an easy fix I have the tools. Either way I plan on picking it up one of these days. He said he would not sell it to anyone else.

The good thing is that you can shoot any of your Garands at Roslyn's Garand/Vintage rifle matches. If it takes off, I am sure they will screen for NM rifles in the group. For now they're happy to have people come to shoot.

I had my Springfield restored to qualify for sanctioned Garand matches. Its fun to get the old rifles out on the line. Next up will be my M1903.

·
Registered
996 Posts
It's all three of the things you mentioned. Barrel has to conform to orig. USGI profile, no NM match mods other than a NM op-rod are legal for CMP as -issued Garand matches. I also suggest you peruse the CMP rules, that'll clear up a lot of questions, for the most part. Just like the FAR's though, they can be a bit cumbersome at times. HTH

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.pdf

·
"Death From Above"
11,432 Posts
That's for sure on the FAR's I will check them out! Looks like I will be checking in with my friend this spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts