M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct forum now (sorry)

Garand stocks (Bang head here!!!)

All these Garand stock makers out there and I can't understand why nobody can make a Garand stock that holds downward pressure on the lower band to dampen the barrel when firing. 95% of the stocks (new reproduction) that I come across do not have the stock ferrule pulling down on the lower band. Do these companies spend more time with the outside shaping than with what needs to be down on the in-letting to provide and accurate stock. The commercial stocks have tight trigger guard lockup for sure but often don't have and downward pressure built into the in-letting that allows the stock ferrule to pull down on the lower band so the barrel ends up in the same place after it whips around from recoil. One stock I have not tried is the Minelli yet....

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Of all the stock vendors ut there Dupages are the best.. I have worked on probably a dozen of them and the all had the pressure you talked about . Some just needed some wood removed from the rear handguard and in the barrel chanel to give it room to move, a 10 minute fix

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Most USGI stocks dont have this either...plenty of good shooting rifles.

Gus Fisher has noted, the tight bedding of a new stock will compensate for not having a NM fitted stock. At least for a long while.

I have never seen a Dupage stock with a correct ferrule height...not from DGR, not from the CMP. There are plenty of external dimension problems as it is. Its a gussied up version of Boyds.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I have only had one ferrule that was to high, all the rest were fine. It seems that they are better than years ago

Here is the one I had to rework, as you can see the ferrule sets to high

Had to carve out the top so ferrule would set in proper psoition . I then had to fill in the area on the bottom since the ferrule set lower so it would stay in place when tightened
I taped off the stock, and applied paste wax to the ferrule for a release.
Then placed JB Weld to the bottom of where the ferrule sets on the stock, put ferrule in place and start to tighten the screw but not all they way

Not JCG legal but fine for a range rifle

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
Makin a Garand or M14 stock that has consistent downward pull on the barrel band is just not possible. It is only a mater of a few thousands of an inch and it's difficult when working with wood. That is why we glass bed stocks.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
7,424 Posts
I have a friend that told me about gluing strips of brown paper under the front of the receiver on both sides to add some tension. I have tried it with a playing card and it does tighten it up.

Casey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.