M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Springfield M1 Garand and am having trouble with sighting it in. The issue is that I have to move the rear sight over to the right all the way in order to get bullet impact on the bullseye. My wifes cousin shot the rifle and so has her uncle and we all are having the same problem, at 50 yards with the sight in the middle, I am shooting waaaayyyyy off. Does anyone have an idea of what this might be? Once it is sighted in, it is dead nuts, but it bothers me having to move the rear sight all the way over. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
m1 sight adjustment

you should zero your rifle by adjusting the front sight for windage with the rear aperature centered.Move the front sight in the same direction it is off, so if your hitting to the right move the front sight to the right, move the sight in small increments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did that when I first bought the rifle, but it had to be moved all the way over to the right, is this a common issue with the Garand???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first got the rifle the front sight was moved all the way to the right...I moved it back because I thought it made the gun look dumb, but with the rear sight moved over, it looks really weird so I am confused. I am not sure what barrel indexing is, can you explain?

·
Registered
139 Posts
An index is something that serves as a reference or guide. Barrel indexing is the process of orienting a barrel when it is installed onto a receiver.

In the case of an M1, barrel indexing is accomplished through the use of levels on the front sight base and the receiver. When the barrel is torqued into final position, the front sight base should be level in reference to the receiver.

If the barrel is over or under indexed, the front sight base is not level and the front sight must be adjusted left or right to compensate. Slight adjustment of the front sight is normal.

In extreme cases of over/under indexing, the front sight of the M1 must be moved to the extreme left/right of the front sight base, sometimes even overhanging the edges, in order to center up the point of impact.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Orig or arsenal rebuild GI barrel or new Criterion (CMP) barrel? Narrow or wide sight base gas cylinder? If yours is narrow, explain your prob to CMP and they'll probably swap you a wide base or else have you send your rifle back to get the barrel indexing checked out. You shouldn't have to nudge the front sight but a tad on a Garand to zero the rear's windage at the center of the scale. The old warhorses are precise as a Swiss watch when they're put together right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My barrel is actually a British barrel I think. It has a crown stamped on the side. It is not a CMP model and was rebarreled in 1961 (I think). It is kind of strange though, it has a British barrel, but it does not have any import marks...

·
Registered
57 Posts
My barrel is actually a British barrel I think. It has a crown stamped on the side. It is not a CMP model and was rebarreled in 1961 (I think). It is kind of strange though, it has a British barrel, but it does not have any import marks...
Most likely loaned to the Brits and not sold. Wouldnt be any import marks on a returned loaner.

·
Banned
79 Posts
What is the serial number range?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know when my M1 was made according to the first part of my serial number? I am very interested to know when it was made.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Before you do any shooting, make sure the gas screw is tight. And check it every 3-4 shots in case it works loose. Don't lube the threads, either. A loose gas screw will make it impossible to sight in your rifle, as the group will look like a shotgun pattern instead of a group.

Charlie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts